Slovakia: Girl from impoverished Romani family wins race running in flats
Annamárie Horváthová, a pupil from an impoverished Romani family, has drawn attention and expressions of sympathy from the public in Slovakia after winning a race in which, unlike her competitors, she was wearing just flats. A co-organizer of the competition has found a sponsor who has now given the girl new running shoes and socks.
Slovak President Andrej Kiska has also met with the promising runner. The competition was participated in by roughly 450 adults and children in the eastern town of Moldava nad Bodvou on tracks of different lengths in June.
The girl has only drawn public attention more recently, however. A local recreation center that co-organized the competition published a photograph of the announcement of the winner through online social networks.
The photograph shows the pupil standing on the winner's podium in the footwear she wore during the race, flats without socks, while her competitors who came in second and third place are wearing running shoes and athletic gear. The recreation center announced that it will be creating conditions for the winning pupil, who attends a Hungarian-language school, to continue improving her running performance under the guidance of a trainer.
On 5 September, Slovak President Kiska visited eastern Slovakia to attend the launch of the new school year and met with Horváthová. "Each child must get a chance. I have no doubt that among the children we have many talents that have not yet been discovered," he said.
The story of the Romani girl, who has six siblings and gets top grades at school, has sparked a debate in the media about the fact that children from impoverished conditions do not have much chance to develop their talent. According to the Denník N newspaper, two years ago another running competition was won in the east of the country by a girl who ran in slippers.
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for the Romani Community: Žilina is a textbook example of hate crime
- Slovakia: Romani youth in critical condition after brutal racist attack, police say they see no racist motive and make racist remarks themselves
- Slovak court finds Romani tenants were discriminated against during eviction and relocation
- Slovakia: Man shoots at Romani groundskeepers, then hangs Nazi flag from his window, is now in custody
- Slovak Parliament condemns growing displays of extremism
- Slovak court convicts Romani victims of police raid for making allegedly false accusations of brutality
- Slovakia: Romani girl from bad neighborhood did the best on entrance exams, now tutors others
- Slovak media have video footage of brutal attack that killed Filipino, suspect is in custody
- Slovakia: Filipino attempts to prevent harassment of women, harasser kicks him to death
- Public discussion reviews Czech and Slovak policies and practices of commemorating the Holocaust and its Romani victims
- Slovakia: Two Romani children shot in Poprad, perpetrator not yet identified
- Irena Biháriová: Comprehending the matrix of a Romani settlement in Slovakia is not easy
- Slovakia's national minority commissions to approve funding apparently rife with conflicts of interest
- Slovak appeals court says video of police abuse of Romani children must be admitted into evidence
- Slovakia: Romani barber builds salon in small town despite local prejudices
- Slovakia: Meet the Romani teacher who refused to grade racist essays
- Romani rappers P. A. T. and Rytmus in new video: Czechs and Slovaks are "drunk on hatred"
- Slovak nursery school teacher refers to child's mother as a "gypsy", then mistakenly sends her the message online
- Slovakia: Romani children from excluded communities sing Romani national anthem at the Presidential Palace
- Czech Police send case of attack on Romani minors to Criminal Police to determine whether it was a felony
- Czech Police investigating brutal assault on Romani children as a misdemeanor for now
- Slovak football tournament brings together diplomats, Roma and politicians for the fifth time
- Czech Republic: Several Romani minors hospitalized after adults attack them, shouting racist abuse
- VIDEO: Kickbox champ of Czech Republic wins again, celebrates with the Romani flag
- Slovak President Kiska receives the European Civil Rights Prize of Sinti and Roma in Brussels
- Romani athlete Dominik Oračko of the Czech Republic wins two gold medals and one silver at the Youth World Weightlifting Championships
- Young teacher describes how antigypsyism is alive and well in Czech primary education
- Romani girl who won race in Slovakia while running in flats keeps on winning
- Romani kickbox champ of Czech Republic celebrates victory at Muay-Thai evening in Slovakia with Romani flag around his shoulders