Slovakia: Nominations begin for Roma Spirit 2017 under auspices of President Kiska
Nominations have begun for the prestigious ninth annual Roma Spirit awards in Slovakia, which highlight extraordinary deeds and efforts by specific individuals and organizations to improve the life and position of Romani people there. The award is administered by the Association for Culture, Education and Communications (ACEC), Slovak Radio and Television (RTVS), and the Office of the Slovak Government Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities.
The event will be held under the auspices of Slovak President Andrej Kiska. "All of the nominations accepted are evidence that a humane life, the idea of equality, and fundamental human rights are still present in our society. We believe in the good of humanity and in the moral worth of individuals and society, and we will continue to focus on the activity of people who demonstrate, through the stands that they take, how to build bridges beween people irrespective of their being of different nationalities or origins," said Magdaléna Rothová, ACEC director.
"I would like to express my admiration to all of them for their activities and their approach to life, and I would also like to thank those who send in nominations and tell us about these extraordinary deeds, people and subjects every year," she said. The competition features seven categories: Individual, Action of the Year, Culture, City or Municipality, Company or Employer, Non-Governmental Organization, and Media.
Nominations may be sent by e-mail, by post, or by completing the online form at www.romaspirit.sk by 15 September. The 9th annual Roma Spirit awards will culminate with the gala ceremony announcing the prizewinners on 26 November 2017.
There will be 21 nominees, three in each category. The international Expert Jury and another juty for Action of the Year will choose one prizewinner per category.
A recording of the ceremony is traditionally made by Channel 2 of Slovakia's public broadcaster RTVS. "We frequently think of Romani people as an issue, as a problem we are meant to solve, but Romani people are frequently a great benefit to those around them, including at the level of the entire country. I am pleased that each year, on the occasion of awarding the Roma Spirit prize, we are able to encounter those who clearly send the important message that all of us have the potential to change things around us for the better," said Ábel Ravasz, Slovak Government Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities, at the press conference announcing the 9th annual Roma Spirit awards in Slovakia.
- Slovakia: Meet Erik D., Romani street artist
- Czech town's "Multicolored Festival" will feature Romani rapper from Slovakia
- Ninety years ago the Czechoslovak authorities issued law on "wandering gypsies", took fingerprints for "gypsy identification cards"
- Belgian edition of TV competition "The Voice" won by 13-year-old Romani girl from Slovakia
- Karel Holomek on the "social unconscious" and the Roma Spirit Awards
- Richard Samko on receiving the 2016 Roma Spirit Award: Give Romani people a chance!
- 2016 Roma Spirit Awards in the Czech Republic: Ctibor Nečas, R-Mosty, Evangelical Academy, Richard Samko and Olga Fečová
- Slovak Roma Spirit awards for 2016 go to antiracist campaigner and Mayor of the Luník IX housing estate
- BBC Three Documentary Exposes Human Rights Abuses In Hungary’s State-Care Homes
- Traffickers in poverty in the Czech Republic have a new trick for not losing their profitable business model
- Romani rappers P. A. T. and Rytmus in new video: Czechs and Slovaks are "drunk on hatred"
- Analysis: Czech housing benefits keep people's heads above water
- Slovak appeals court confirms that town discriminated against Romani woman and must compensate her
- Controversial Czech housing estate in the hands of foreign nationals: Russians big fans of trafficking in poverty there
- Slovakia: Second Romani schoolchild dies after February car accident
- Vojtěch Pačan: The gadje turned out in person for the Prague demonstration, but Romani people only express their criticism on Facebook
- Czech and Slovak Victims of Coercive Sterilization Await Justice
- Stano Daniel: A message from Slovakia. First, words fall. Then people.
- Margareta Matache and Cornel West on the common struggle of African Americans and Roma against white normativity
- Slovakia: Romani family rejected by neighbors before they even move in
Tags:Ocenění, Roma Spirit, Roma, Slovakia
Czech MP Karel Schwarzenberg will attend public discussion of the future memorial at Romani genocide site in Lety22.4.2018 10:31
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.