Slovakia now has an MP from the Romani minority, Štefan Vavrek
Wire services report that Slovakia's unicameral legislature has just seated a new MP. After MP Edita Pfundtnerová (Most-Híd) relinquished her seat in order to become a state secretary at the Justice Ministry, Romani community member Štefan Vavrek has now replaced her.
"On my honor and conscience I pledge fidelity to the Slovak Republic. I will fulfill my duties in the interest of her citizens," Vavrek promised as he took the oath of office at the beginning of the 34th session of the legislature.
"I will uphold the Constitution and all other laws and work to see them brought to life," the new MP pledged. He is slated to join the economic committee.
"I am taking office midway through the term as the train is already in motion, but I believe my colleagues will aid me," Vavrek said. He also said he will be glad to act in Parliament as an extension of the Slovak Government Plenipotentiary for the Romani Community.
Vavrek is the second Romani MP in the recent history of the Slovak legislature, after Peter Pollák. The most Romani people ever seated in the highest legislative body of what was then Czechoslovakia was 11 in 1990, primarily thanks to Emil Ščuka.
Two days after the 17 November 1989 police intervention against demonstrators in Prague that eventually led to the democratic transition, Ščuka established the preparatory committee of the Roma Civic Initiative (Romské občanské iniciativy - ROI), joining forces with Civic Forum in the Czech Republic and the Public against Violence in the Slovak Republic. The most recent Romani MP in the Czech Republic was Monika Horáková (1998-2002), who today is named Monika Mihaličková.
- Slovakia: Girl from impoverished Romani family wins race running in flats
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for the Romani Community: Žilina is a textbook example of hate crime
- Slovakia: Romani youth in critical condition after brutal racist attack, police say they see no racist motive and make racist remarks themselves
- Slovak court finds Romani tenants were discriminated against during eviction and relocation
- Slovakia: Man shoots at Romani groundskeepers, then hangs Nazi flag from his window, is now in custody
- Slovak Parliament condemns growing displays of extremism
- Slovak court convicts Romani victims of police raid for making allegedly false accusations of brutality
- Slovakia: Romani girl from bad neighborhood did the best on entrance exams, now tutors others
- Slovak media have video footage of brutal attack that killed Filipino, suspect is in custody
- Slovakia: Filipino attempts to prevent harassment of women, harasser kicks him to death
- Public discussion reviews Czech and Slovak policies and practices of commemorating the Holocaust and its Romani victims
- Slovakia: Two Romani children shot in Poprad, perpetrator not yet identified
- Irena Biháriová: Comprehending the matrix of a Romani settlement in Slovakia is not easy
- Slovakia's national minority commissions to approve funding apparently rife with conflicts of interest
- Slovak appeals court says video of police abuse of Romani children must be admitted into evidence
- Slovakia: Romani barber builds salon in small town despite local prejudices
- Slovakia: Meet the Romani teacher who refused to grade racist essays
- Elena Gorolová: I was shocked to be included among the BBC's 100 inspirational women of 2018
- Romani community member Olga Halušková has been guiding visitors through Czech castle Karlštejn for more than a decade
- Fashion designer Pavel Berky prevails with humility and talent over experiences of homophobia and racist assault
- Slovakia has 41 Romani mayors - 39 male and two female - a record high
- Commentary: Czech President Zeman's racism and Romani people
- Slovakia: Two-day meeting of V4 presidents was to cover Romani community issues, among other matters
- Czech Republic: RomanoNet launches campaign to get out the Romani vote - "ME DŽAV! A so tu?"
- Czech landlord pressured to leave Civic Democratic Party for trafficking in poverty, he denies the accusation
- Independent Romani candidate collecting signatures to run for Czech Senate
- Young Czech journalist: School didn't teach me not to generalize, I had to learn that on my own
- Residents of Czech neighborhood announce "Two Weeks of Vigilance" to protest their impending eviction
- Czech Social Democrats would withdraw controversial plan to further restrict housing benefits