Slovakia reports first positive COVID-19 test in Romani settlements
Testing in the Romani settlements of Slovakia continued yesterday. MEP Peter Pollák, a member of the Crisis Team, announced that the first positive result for COVID-19 had been discovered.
Absolute calm was said to have prevailed yesterday and according to her Facebook page, Slovak Government Plenipotentiary for Romani Community Affairs Andrea Bučková was there to observe the testing in Žehra. Pollák posted yesterday afternoon to social media that the "First positive" result had been discovered.
The MEP filmed an exclusive interview with ROMEA TV prior to that announcement, explaining how and why the testing in the settlements is taking place. "If the virus is in the Romani settlements, it will kill people there just as it did in Italy. Our action is meant to save lives," he said in the interview.
"On Friday 2 000 people were tested in Slovakia, just 49 of whom were Romani," he explained to those who have been asking on social networks why "only" the Roma were allegedly being tested. "On Saturday 196 Romani people were tested and today an estimated 220."
After Saturday's testing in Trebišov, Smižany, Kecerovce, Zborov, Doľany, Hrabušice and Markušovce, Romani people were tested on Sunday in Křížová Ves, Batizovce, Vechec, Ondavská Matiašovce, Bořka, Dobšiná and Žehra. "The testing in Žehra is happening without any complications - professionally, respectfully and calmly. Many inhabitants were concerned that the COVID-19 test would be painful. However, they then said their fears were not confirmed and that the testing was performed sensitively and painlessly. At the same time they praised the collaboration with the police and the military experts in civilian cooperation," the Plenipotentiary said on Facebook.
- Slovakia reports that none of the samples tested for COVID-19 in Jarovnice came back positive
- Slovakia: COVID-19 testing begins in Romani settlements, those who test positive will be locally quarantined
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for Roma tells ROMEA TV there are no plans for the Army and police to "invade" Romani settlements
- Slovakia will test Romani settlement residents for COVID-19 and isolate infected people in state-run facilities
- Slovakia: New Plenipotentiary for Roma to be Andrea Bučková
- NGOs call on new Slovak Government to end the segregation of Romani children in education
- Slovak Romani settlement quarantined after resident returns from England
- Slovakia to have a new Plenipotentiary for Roma, MEP wants it to be a Romani person
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- MEP Peter Pollák joins Slovak Permanent Crisis Team to address COVID-19 in Romani localities
- Slovak NGOs demand crisis plan from Govt to prevent COVID-19 pandemic in Romani communities, ombudswoman supports them
- Irena Biháriová on developments in Slovakia: Who is really being ostracized?
- Czech and Slovak extremists do their best to profit from the COVID-19 pandemic, attacking the EU and public broadcast media
- Slovak Plenipotentiary for Roma says Govt decision not to deliver benefits to Romani settlements is inhumane
- Coronavirus pandemic can make conditions in the Romani settlements of Slovakia deadly, protective gear slow to reach those who need it
- Romani activist will seek to become chair of Progressive Slovakia party
- Pope's words at Romani housing estate in Slovakia gave hope to those attending
- Czech mobile vaccination teams revisit socially excluded localities where COVID-19 disinformation has had more of an impact
- Austria's Die Presse: Covert racism is why Europe's Roma are worse off after COVID-19 pandemic
- Slovak President and Plenipotentiary for Roma object to wave of hate and racism following announcement of Pope's visit to Romani neighborhood
- Czech mobile team has vaccinated about 100 people against COVID-19 at the Mojžíř housing estate and will visit other excluded localities
- Czech mobile vaccination teams visit excluded localities in Ostrava-Přívoz, Regional Authority working with Romani NGOs on outreach
- Romani-inhabited housing estate Luník IX in Slovakia sees start of local vaccinations against COVID-19
- In the Czech Republic, mobile teams have begun vaccinating people against COVID-19 in socially excluded localities
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for the Roma Community says biased media coverage of animal abuse could spark anti-Romani hatred
- Jaroslav Miko: Vaccination doesn't just protect you, it protects us all
- Czech extremists move from inciting anti-Romani hatred to railing against "COVID terror" ahead of fall elections
- Czech social media influencers join national campaign promoting vaccinations against COVID-19