Slovakia: Research shows half of Romani children do not discuss sex with their parents
Romani boys have a higher tolerance for premarital sex than do Romani girls or Romani parents. Up to 86 % of a total of 160 male respondents said it was acceptable for a boy to have premarital sex with a girl; when selecting their female partners, however, the respondents were quite demanding, saying the woman chosen should be a virgin before marriage, according to Jarmila Filadelfiová, who participated in preparing the research on sexual and reproductive behavior in Roma communities in Slovakia.
In her opinion the negative position of girls and parents to premarital sex is due to concerns over unwanted pregnancy and fear of being condemned by the community. When answering the question of whether children speak with their parents about sex, up to 70 % of boys and 51 % of girls said they never have. "From the research it can be seen that more than half of young Romani people have no information whatsoever about sex and sexual health.
This lack of information should be covered by the schools or other informational activities,” Filadelfiová said. The questionnaire was completed by 160 girls and 160 boys between the ages of 13 – 27 and by 172 parents between the ages of 17 – 58 from 12 districts in Slovakia.
- Romani girl runner in Slovakia scores another regional victory
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for Roma: We don't want closed settlements, testing residents for COVID-19 will prevent repressive measures
- Romani activist will seek to become chair of Progressive Slovakia party
- Newly-elected Slovak MP Jarmila Vaňová: I thank Romani voters for coming out and demanding change
- European Court of Human Rights finds Slovak authorities did not properly investigate police brutality against Romani boy
- Slovak President Čaputová awards Romani doctor and human rights activist with state honors
- For a third time, Slovak court acquits police of brutalizing Romani children a decade ago, prosecutor appealing
- Slovak bus company caught on video repeatedly denying some Romani passengers service
- Slovak Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities: We will focus on education and employment
- Czech film festival visited by seven Romani children from Slovak settlements to promote "Silent Days"
- Slovakia has elected its first female President - Čaputová thanks voters in Romanes again
- Slovak President Andrej Kiska gives state honors to two Romani figures