Slovakia: Romani girl from bad neighborhood did the best on entrance exams, now tutors others
Eva Marie Duždová, a Romani girl from Slovakia, is living proof that we should abandon our prejudices and not look at the world in terms of black or white. Eva just came in first place during the entrance examinations for an eight-year college preparatory school in Prešov.
The girl did best on the examinations of all the fifth-graders, Slovak broadcaster RTVS reports. She is a clear example of the fact that children from Romani families, including those living in problematic parts of town, can still achieve academically.
The principal of the college preparatory school said she was not surprised by Eva's success, as Eva's brother already studies there as well and the school is satisfied with him. Eva's homeroom teacher, Lucia Augustínová, cannot praise Eva enough.
"She actually excels in all subjects and is a role model for her peers," the teacher told RTVS. Eva frequently also explains material to other pupils when they don't comprehend it, tutoring them regularly.
The girl's parents are the main force behind her success and have motivated her learning. They did not want her to attend a classroom with other Romani pupils in a segregated setting.
Eva's father, Igor, said he believed it would not have aided his daughter to attend a segregated school. The family's decision has proven to be the right one and Eva is on her way.
- Slovakia: Filipino attempts to prevent harassment of women, harasser kicks him to death
- Public discussion reviews Czech and Slovak policies and practices of commemorating the Holocaust and its Romani victims
- Slovakia: Two Romani children shot in Poprad, perpetrator not yet identified
- Irena Biháriová: Comprehending the matrix of a Romani settlement in Slovakia is not easy
- Slovakia's national minority commissions to approve funding apparently rife with conflicts of interest
- Slovak appeals court says video of police abuse of Romani children must be admitted into evidence
- Slovakia: Romani barber builds salon in small town despite local prejudices
- Slovakia: Meet the Romani teacher who refused to grade racist essays
- Slovak appeals court confirms that town discriminated against Romani woman and must compensate her
- Slovakia: Second Romani schoolchild dies after February car accident
- UN: Slovakia must act to eliminate racism against Roma
- Czech and Slovak Victims of Coercive Sterilization Await Justice
- Slovak ultra-right MP tried for extremism after making xenophobic remarks about Roma
- Stano Daniel: A message from Slovakia. First, words fall. Then people.
- Slovakia: Romani family rejected by neighbors before they even move in
- Romani candidate has actual chance of becoming an MEP after party chair in Slovakia withdraws and backs him
- Slovak President-elect says a single court decision cannot solve the problem of extremism and Fascism
- Racist band associated with a leader of "Right Sector" in Ukraine to play in Czech Republic today
- Commentary: Czech Republic, Slovakia must compensate the victims of forced sterilization while they are still alive
- Slovak nursery school teacher refers to child's mother as a "gypsy", then mistakenly sends her the message online
- Slovak Police investigating hateful, antigypsyist Facebook post
- Slovak football tournament brings together diplomats, Roma and politicians for the fifth time
- Irena Biháriová: How a Romani woman from Progressive Slovakia got a hug from an ultra-right voter
- Slovak Presidential elections: Frontrunner speaks Romanes when thanking first-round voters
- Czech Republic sees eighth BARUVAS program meeting for Romani students
- Czech research finds excluded residents, including Roma, fall victim to crime more than others
- Czech Government Agency for Social Inclusion criticizes housing benefit-free zones