Slovakia: Romani girl from settlement now champion runner in her region
One year ago, photographs of Annamária, a Romani girl standing on the first place podium of an athletics competition in ballerina flats, went viral on Czech and Slovak social media. Despite her family being very badly off financially and living in a cabin in the Romani settlement of Moldava nad Bodvou, she beat more than 400 other children to win the 750 meter race.
Her talent was noticed by the local athletics club, which has taken her under their wing and is financially supporting her. Today, after one year of training, she is the best runner in her category in eastern Slovakia.
Slovak public broadcaster RTVS has been following up on her story. Annamária trains four times a week and excels all other members at her club.
"She's a medium distance runner. At this moment she is the best runner in eastern Slovakia in the category of older schoolgirls," Norobert Pecze, chair of the Legionnaires' Athletics Club, told RTVS television.
The Slovak Athletics Union, which supports the club Annamária trains at, is also taking care of other talented athletes, but sociologist Zuzana Kusá of the Slovak Academy of Sciences says the union should focus more on support for children's sport generally and for children from socially disadvantaged environments above all. "We are supporting top-level sports, not children's sports, and especially not anything for children who live in different kinds of disadvantaged conditions," she told RTVS.
"For many such people, sport can be a big motivation and opportunity to extricate themselves from such environments," the sociologist said. She also noted that it is very difficult to spot talent among such children because they frequently do not attend physical education classes in the Slovak schools - for no other reason than that they do not own a change of clothes or footwear.
- Slovak homeowner considers selling to Roma, so his neighbors graffiti his house and puncture his tires
- Slovakia: Dozens of children from orphanage ending up in psychiatric care - is it a business?
- Slovak Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities: We will focus on education and employment
- Czech film festival visited by seven Romani children from Slovak settlements to promote "Silent Days"
- Romani girl who won race in Slovakia while running in flats keeps on winning
- Slovakia: Girl from impoverished Romani family wins race running in flats
- Czech state funding for nonprofits goes mostly to social policy and sports
- Czech politician and sports figure convicted of buying Romani votes
- Iranian woman gets two years for protesting ban on women attending sports matches
- Football gives Travellers a sporting chance
- Slovakia ahead of elections: Romani candidate suing fascists for defamation
- Austria: Wiener Symphoniker names Dalibor Karvay its new first concertmaster
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT 19:00 CET: "Light in the Darkness" - Romani community gives awards in Slovakia
- Slovakia: Ultra-right calls for "asocials" to be sent to labor camps, police investigating
- Czech kickboxer of Romani origin wins gold in Sarajevo
- Slovakia: Café Európa discusses underrepresentation of Romani people in politics
- International Romani amateur boxing match won by team from Slovakia
- Slovak town bans demonstration by fascists out of respect for Holocaust victims
- Commentary by Czech MEP Zdechovský: Roma need work, not welfare!
- Slovak Government says new data show quality of life for Roma is gradually improving
- Slovak President Zuzana Čaputová has breakfast with Romani students
- Czech ice hockey friendly goes uncompleted after fans racially abuse Romani player and his team stops play in protest