Slovakia: Romani girl from settlement now champion runner in her region
One year ago, photographs of Annamária, a Romani girl standing on the first place podium of an athletics competition in ballerina flats, went viral on Czech and Slovak social media. Despite her family being very badly off financially and living in a cabin in the Romani settlement of Moldava nad Bodvou, she beat more than 400 other children to win the 750 meter race.
Her talent was noticed by the local athletics club, which has taken her under their wing and is financially supporting her. Today, after one year of training, she is the best runner in her category in eastern Slovakia.
Slovak public broadcaster RTVS has been following up on her story. Annamária trains four times a week and excels all other members at her club.
"She's a medium distance runner. At this moment she is the best runner in eastern Slovakia in the category of older schoolgirls," Norobert Pecze, chair of the Legionnaires' Athletics Club, told RTVS television.
The Slovak Athletics Union, which supports the club Annamária trains at, is also taking care of other talented athletes, but sociologist Zuzana Kusá of the Slovak Academy of Sciences says the union should focus more on support for children's sport generally and for children from socially disadvantaged environments above all. "We are supporting top-level sports, not children's sports, and especially not anything for children who live in different kinds of disadvantaged conditions," she told RTVS.
"For many such people, sport can be a big motivation and opportunity to extricate themselves from such environments," the sociologist said. She also noted that it is very difficult to spot talent among such children because they frequently do not attend physical education classes in the Slovak schools - for no other reason than that they do not own a change of clothes or footwear.
- Slovak homeowner considers selling to Roma, so his neighbors graffiti his house and puncture his tires
- Slovakia: Dozens of children from orphanage ending up in psychiatric care - is it a business?
- Slovak Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities: We will focus on education and employment
- Czech film festival visited by seven Romani children from Slovak settlements to promote "Silent Days"
- Romani girl who won race in Slovakia while running in flats keeps on winning
- Slovakia: Girl from impoverished Romani family wins race running in flats
- Czech state funding for nonprofits goes mostly to social policy and sports
- Czech politician and sports figure convicted of buying Romani votes
- Football gives Travellers a sporting chance
- Slovak project where Roma build their own homes seems more feasible in village setting, for now
- Slovak tabloid covers funeral of Romani woman as spectacle
- Slovak survey of 450 settlements finds 80 % of households depend on borrowing money illegally
- Commentary: Czech philosopher Daniel Kroupa has crossed the line, or: What is racism?
- Author Monika Duždová compares life for Romani people in England and Slovakia
- Czech local zones to cancel housing benefits create more poverty, the biggest one is Ústí nad Labem
- Slovak NGO reports that Romani children from excluded localities lack the online distance learning option
- Slovak trial of fascist party chair becoming protracted, he alleges the judge is biased
- Slovak Police refute disinformation alleging that rampaging murderer at school was Romani
- Slovakia: Two non-Romani assailants who invaded Romani home to personally deliver death threats given suspended sentences
- Slovak Prosecutor: Fascist pandemic is just as dangerous as COVID-19, trial of extreme politician begins tomorrow
- Slovak Education Ministry establishes expert team focused on solving problems with the education of members of national minorities