Slovakia: Romani youth successfully fundraises online for study trip to Japan
Crowdsourcing to fund various activities these days is making many dreams come true. A 17-year-old Romani student from Slovakia was recently convinced of that when his successful collection online aided him in taking his dream trip across the ocean.
The student's Internet campaign, with the unusual name of "Send a Roma Guy to Japan!", is Daniel Bunda's own intitiative, a Romani youth from Slovakia who desires to educate himself further and more intensively. He is active in the Young Leaders program and has dreamed of visiting the Land of the Rising Sun since childhood.
Slovak news server Noizz.sk asked him why he desires to visit Japan, where he got the idea about how to fundraise for his trip, and how his relationship to his Romani identity has developed. "People there learn what learning is about," he said when asked what he anticipates will happen during his stay at the Gakko Camp education program abroad.
"This is not just about a form of self-educaiton, it is about entirely redesigning education as we know it. Learning is life. I believe this will give me a new perspective and I will be able to aid children, to give them something new, maybe some tips and tricks for how to not get bored when faced with data and how to learn without limits," the young student said.
- Martin Daniel, the ball hockey champion of Slovakia, is also a diabetic and a member of the Romani community
- Slovakia: Brutal police intervention against Romani children, elderly woman
- Slovakia: Attorney for abused boys says acquittal of police officers was illegal
- Slovak Prosecutor: Fascist pandemic is just as dangerous as COVID-19, trial of extreme politician begins tomorrow
- Slovak Education Ministry establishes expert team focused on solving problems with the education of members of national minorities
- Czech health official's ignorant claim about COVID-19 response in Romani settlements in Slovakia prompts pushback from MEP
- Czech court returns to case of hateful online comments about non-"white" first-graders, but witnesses fail to appear
- Željko Jovanović: Roma Resistance Day as a Moral Compass
- Slovakia: Six more inhabitants of Romani settlement test positive for COVID-19, are relocated to facility
- Slovakia: COVID-19 still spreading in Roma settlement, quarantine center will be built there and across-the-board testing undertaken
- Slovak Interior Ministry Inspectorate begins prosecution of officer who assaulted Romani children
- Central European University offers stipend to Romani students for online summer school, deadline 13 May
- Emil Voráč: Czech Govt COVID-19 measures haven't stopped our work, but the poorest are being forgotten
- Slovakia: Three Romani communities in Krompachy out of COVID-19 quarantine, movement restrictions only remain in Žehra
- Romanian chief of local police filmed beating handcuffed Romani men as they lie on the ground