Slovakia: Romani youth successfully fundraises online for study trip to Japan
Crowdsourcing to fund various activities these days is making many dreams come true. A 17-year-old Romani student from Slovakia was recently convinced of that when his successful collection online aided him in taking his dream trip across the ocean.
The student's Internet campaign, with the unusual name of "Send a Roma Guy to Japan!", is Daniel Bunda's own intitiative, a Romani youth from Slovakia who desires to educate himself further and more intensively. He is active in the Young Leaders program and has dreamed of visiting the Land of the Rising Sun since childhood.
Slovak news server Noizz.sk asked him why he desires to visit Japan, where he got the idea about how to fundraise for his trip, and how his relationship to his Romani identity has developed. "People there learn what learning is about," he said when asked what he anticipates will happen during his stay at the Gakko Camp education program abroad.
"This is not just about a form of self-educaiton, it is about entirely redesigning education as we know it. Learning is life. I believe this will give me a new perspective and I will be able to aid children, to give them something new, maybe some tips and tricks for how to not get bored when faced with data and how to learn without limits," the young student said.
- Martin Daniel, the ball hockey champion of Slovakia, is also a diabetic and a member of the Romani community
- Slovakia: Brutal police intervention against Romani children, elderly woman
- Slovakia: Attorney for abused boys says acquittal of police officers was illegal
- President of Slovakia Zuzana Čaputová posts in Romanes for Roma Holocaust Memorial Day: Te e historija na avel pale kampel te achaľol, so hin ňenavisť
- Czech Republic's housing benefit rules are easier as of this month
- British authorities sentence couple who enslaved Romani youth to nine and 16 years in prison respectively
- Romani kickboxer Václav Sivák unequivocally wins the Oktagon Underground MMA fight in a packed O2 Arena in the Czech Republic
- Michal Mižigár: What myths exist about World Roma Day and what is the reality?
- Slovak President Zuzana Čaputová met with Roma students on the occasion of World Roma Day
- European Parliament President warns of growing antigypsyism and sends greetings on World Roma Day
- Czech and international organizations support bereaved family with Constitutional Court complaint over death of Stanislav Tomáš in police custody
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities joins aid effort for refugees from Ukraine, monitoring patrols will make sure Romani refugees are assisted too
- Slovak firefighter tells ROMEA TV his remarks about Roma from Ukraine were based on what they themselves told him and the Czech reporter misunderstood him
- Slovak Interior Minister refuses to comment on firefighter's racist remarks about Romani refugees from Ukraine
- Commentary: Stop idealizing poverty