Slovakia: Romani youth successfully fundraises online for study trip to Japan
Crowdsourcing to fund various activities these days is making many dreams come true. A 17-year-old Romani student from Slovakia was recently convinced of that when his successful collection online aided him in taking his dream trip across the ocean.
The student's Internet campaign, with the unusual name of "Send a Roma Guy to Japan!", is Daniel Bunda's own intitiative, a Romani youth from Slovakia who desires to educate himself further and more intensively. He is active in the Young Leaders program and has dreamed of visiting the Land of the Rising Sun since childhood.
Slovak news server Noizz.sk asked him why he desires to visit Japan, where he got the idea about how to fundraise for his trip, and how his relationship to his Romani identity has developed. "People there learn what learning is about," he said when asked what he anticipates will happen during his stay at the Gakko Camp education program abroad.
"This is not just about a form of self-educaiton, it is about entirely redesigning education as we know it. Learning is life. I believe this will give me a new perspective and I will be able to aid children, to give them something new, maybe some tips and tricks for how to not get bored when faced with data and how to learn without limits," the young student said.
- Martin Daniel, the ball hockey champion of Slovakia, is also a diabetic and a member of the Romani community
- Slovakia: Brutal police intervention against Romani children, elderly woman
- Slovakia: Attorney for abused boys says acquittal of police officers was illegal
- Slovak Government apologizes for illegal sterilizations, lawyer and Plenipotentiary for the Romani Community say compensation must follow
- Slovak Defense Ministry gives Romani community member Richard Koky award for his contribution to fighting COVID-19, he calls on everyone to get vaccinated
- European Commissioners and MEPs visit Romani settlements in Slovakia
- David Beňák: The Czech state itself is cultivating professional welfare recipients, but education can be an enormous force for lifting people up
- Slovakia's Roma Spirit 2021: Finalists include fashion designer Pavel Berky, rapper Čavalenky, and activist Denisa Havrľová
- Czech nonprofit Romodrom celebrates its 20th anniversary
- Romani actors featured on Czech "StarDance" television show
- Doctor in Slovakia refuses treatment to Romani toddler because his mother was unvaccinated, he died shortly thereafter
- Six Romani men and women are running in Czech elections to the lower house, one for ANO and Levice, two for the Greens, two for ultranationalist party
- Slovak Government apologizes for anti-Jewish measures during WWII
- Pope's words at Romani housing estate in Slovakia gave hope to those attending
- Vojtěch Lavička: Czech law on housing benefit-free zones was an attack on human dignity