Slovakia to have a new Plenipotentiary for Roma, MEP wants it to be a Romani person
Peter Pollák, an MEP and member of the governing OĽANO movement in Slovakia who is now a member of the Government's Crisis Team there, has been put in charge of choosing the new Government Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities. The current Plenipotentiary, Ábel Ravasz (Most-Híd), will not be continuing in office.
"We are not satisfied with his work. We anticipate that during next week there will be a change at the Office of the Government Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities," the MEP said during an interview on the ŠTÚDIO TA3 television program.
Pollák also said the new Plenipotentiary would be chosen from among four candidates but did not give names. According to him, the new Plenipotentiary will be a Romani person.
"We have prospects of several candidates for this position, interviews are underway. I won't say who the candidates are. Today we will choose from among the best people we have in Slovakia," he said.
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- MEP Peter Pollák joins Slovak Permanent Crisis Team to address COVID-19 in Romani localities
- Slovak NGOs demand crisis plan from Govt to prevent COVID-19 pandemic in Romani communities, ombudswoman supports them
- Irena Biháriová on developments in Slovakia: Who is really being ostracized?
- EUobserver on how anti-Roma racism is being exploited during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech and Slovak extremists do their best to profit from the COVID-19 pandemic, attacking the EU and public broadcast media
- European Court of Human Rights rules against Slovakia in case of police brutality against Roma
- Slovak President commemorates WWII-era National Uprising to which Roma also contributed
- Czech Government Human Rights Commissioner: I support the creation of a Government Commissioner for Romani Minority Affairs
- Slovak project where Roma build their own homes seems more feasible in village setting, for now
- Slovak tabloid covers funeral of Romani woman as spectacle
- Slovak survey of 450 settlements finds 80 % of households depend on borrowing money illegally
- Author Monika Duždová compares life for Romani people in England and Slovakia
- Slovak NGO reports that Romani children from excluded localities lack the online distance learning option
- Slovak trial of fascist party chair becoming protracted, he alleges the judge is biased
- Slovak Police refute disinformation alleging that rampaging murderer at school was Romani
- Slovakia: Two non-Romani assailants who invaded Romani home to personally deliver death threats given suspended sentences
- Slovak Prosecutor: Fascist pandemic is just as dangerous as COVID-19, trial of extreme politician begins tomorrow