Slovakia to have a new Plenipotentiary for Roma, MEP wants it to be a Romani person
Peter Pollák, an MEP and member of the governing OĽANO movement in Slovakia who is now a member of the Government's Crisis Team there, has been put in charge of choosing the new Government Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities. The current Plenipotentiary, Ábel Ravasz (Most-Híd), will not be continuing in office.
"We are not satisfied with his work. We anticipate that during next week there will be a change at the Office of the Government Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities," the MEP said during an interview on the ŠTÚDIO TA3 television program.
Pollák also said the new Plenipotentiary would be chosen from among four candidates but did not give names. According to him, the new Plenipotentiary will be a Romani person.
"We have prospects of several candidates for this position, interviews are underway. I won't say who the candidates are. Today we will choose from among the best people we have in Slovakia," he said.
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- MEP Peter Pollák joins Slovak Permanent Crisis Team to address COVID-19 in Romani localities
- Slovak NGOs demand crisis plan from Govt to prevent COVID-19 pandemic in Romani communities, ombudswoman supports them
- Irena Biháriová on developments in Slovakia: Who is really being ostracized?
- EUobserver on how anti-Roma racism is being exploited during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech and Slovak extremists do their best to profit from the COVID-19 pandemic, attacking the EU and public broadcast media
- Slovak Prosecutor: Fascist pandemic is just as dangerous as COVID-19, trial of extreme politician begins tomorrow
- Slovak Education Ministry establishes expert team focused on solving problems with the education of members of national minorities
- Czech health official's ignorant claim about COVID-19 response in Romani settlements in Slovakia prompts pushback from MEP
- Slovakia: Romani settlement celebrates lifting of across-the-board quarantine now that infected individuals and their loved ones have been isolated
- Slovakia: Six more inhabitants of Romani settlement test positive for COVID-19, are relocated to facility
- Slovakia: COVID-19 still spreading in Roma settlement, quarantine center will be built there and across-the-board testing undertaken
- Slovak Interior Ministry Inspectorate begins prosecution of officer who assaulted Romani children
- Slovak MEP and Govt Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities file crime report over assault on Romani children in Krompachy
- Slovakia: Three Romani communities in Krompachy out of COVID-19 quarantine, movement restrictions only remain in Žehra
- Slovak MEP from Romani community strongly condemns police beating of Romani children in quarantined settlement as unacceptable
- Slovak PM says local Roma who completed COVID-19 quarantine are role models for the country
- Slovak Government program declaration says it counts on improving the position of Romani people