Slovakia to have a new Plenipotentiary for Roma, MEP wants it to be a Romani person
Peter Pollák, an MEP and member of the governing OĽANO movement in Slovakia who is now a member of the Government's Crisis Team there, has been put in charge of choosing the new Government Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities. The current Plenipotentiary, Ábel Ravasz (Most-Híd), will not be continuing in office.
"We are not satisfied with his work. We anticipate that during next week there will be a change at the Office of the Government Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities," the MEP said during an interview on the ŠTÚDIO TA3 television program.
Pollák also said the new Plenipotentiary would be chosen from among four candidates but did not give names. According to him, the new Plenipotentiary will be a Romani person.
"We have prospects of several candidates for this position, interviews are underway. I won't say who the candidates are. Today we will choose from among the best people we have in Slovakia," he said.
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- MEP Peter Pollák joins Slovak Permanent Crisis Team to address COVID-19 in Romani localities
- Slovak NGOs demand crisis plan from Govt to prevent COVID-19 pandemic in Romani communities, ombudswoman supports them
- Irena Biháriová on developments in Slovakia: Who is really being ostracized?
- EUobserver on how anti-Roma racism is being exploited during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech and Slovak extremists do their best to profit from the COVID-19 pandemic, attacking the EU and public broadcast media
- Slovak Government apologizes for anti-Jewish measures during WWII
- LIVE AT 16:00 CET: Pope Francis meets Romani people at Košice's Luník IX housing estate in Slovakia
- Romani runner in Slovakia whose junior career has been so hopeful confirms she is pregnant
- Slovakia: Drunken, knife-wielding man threatens to kill Romani children for being in a park and is now in custody
- Romani-inhabited housing estate Luník IX in Slovakia sees start of local vaccinations against COVID-19
- Romani women and children in Slovakia assaulted physically and verbally by stranger at a lake
- Slovak Government apologizes to Romani community for brutal police raid in 2013
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for the Roma Community says biased media coverage of animal abuse could spark anti-Romani hatred
- Slovak Ombudswoman and NGOs appeal to Government to compensate illegally sterilized people
- Slovak MP who is also a Romani community member accused of sexually abusing a teenaged girl, claims he is innocent
- After European Court of Human Rights ruling, Slovak court acquits yet another Romani victim wrongfully indicted for reporting a brutal police attack
- Slovakia: Racist politicians launch hateful anti-Romani campaign over state's pandemic benefit for impoverished children