Slovakia: Victims of police raid on Romani settlement on trial for perjury
The District Court in Košice, Slovakia has recently been hearing the case of 23-year-old Leonard H., one of a group of six inhabitants of the Romani settlement called Budulovská in the municipality of Moldava nad Bodvou whom prosecutors have charged with perjury. His case is associated with the investigation of a police intervention there in June 2013.
After a police operation in the settlement that was itself the culmination of a long-term project, police patrols were attacked by local residents. A couple of days after the patrols were attacked, several dozen officers from the criminal police, the riot police and traffic units went to the settlement and, according to local inhabitants, brutally assaulted more than 30 residents.
Because the locals were convinced the police intervention was so disproportionately harsh as to constitute brutality, they filed five criminal reports altogether about the incident. At the instruction of the Prosecutor-General, a police investigation began in relation to the entire case and an inspection audit was also launched by the Slovak Interior Ministry.
A separate internal audit was done by the ministry in the matter as well. Officers were investigated on suspicion of using disproportionate force, trespassing, and committing wanton property destruction of the persons affected.
In November 2015 and then during 2016 the detective in charge of the investigation brought its various phases to a close. The investigation never proved police wrongdoing, nor did the Interior Ministry's inspection audit.
According to a spokesperson for the Prosecutor-General, what was proven beyond any doubt by the detailed, extensive, precise investigation was that the inhabitants of the Romani settlement had never been tortured at the local district police station. Additionally, the Prosecutor-General's spokesperson said the operation to apprehend suspects in the settlement concerned had been planned and realized in accordance with the law and regulations.
The defense in the perjury case has asked for the opportunity to present new evidence and new eyewitness testimony about this sequence of events. According to court, however, the case of the police raid is already closed.
Allegations of perjury
After almost five years of investigations and the delays associated with them, the upshot of this entire scandal is that only the Romani people who reported the police to other police have been charged, and they currently face the prospect of being convicted for perjury. A total of six charges were brought against Romani settlement residents who will have to be dealt with by the Slovak courts over the course of the next year.
According to news server korzar.sme.sk, defendants Irena M. (50), Leonard H. (23), Július H. (31), Július H. (31), Róbert R. (39) and Roland D. allegedly committed perjury in 2014 at a police station in Košice when they filed their own accusations and criminal reports against the police officers whom they witnessed raiding their community. After being instructed as to the law, and while in the position of eyewitnesses, these local Romani inhabitants said that both specific officers and others unknown to them were those who had used unwarranted violence against them during the police operation in June 2013, causing them injuries that were not spelled out in detail.
In five of these perjury cases the District Court in Košice issued findings without holding hearings and handed down conditional sentences. The defendants appealed and the court is now holding hearings.
The case of Leonard H.
On Thursday, 15 November, Leonard H., who is accused of having perjured himself to police by identifying one of the harshly-intervening officers as the individual Milan J., found himself sitting on the defendant's bench. During Leonard H.'s interrogation by officer Milan J. he alleged that unwarranted violence had been used and that injuries had been caused to him, which he did not detail.
The court order Leonard H. was appealing had sentenced him to 12 months in prison, suspended for one year. The defendant and his representative were in the courtroom just briefly.
During the opening presentation it came to light that in Leonard H.'s case the legally-required five-day period to prepare for the hearing had not been honored. Because the defendant insisted on having time to prepare, the judge had to postpone the hearing, setting a new hearing for mid-January 2019.
This is the second time a court hearing associated with the scandal of these alleged perjuries has been frustrated in such a way. The first instance was when the preparation period was not honored for defendant Robert R., whose hearing was cut short at the end of September for that reason and rescheduled for the week of November 19th.
- Students in Slovak town object to protest seeking to exploit still-unclarified tragedy
- Portugal: Christian radio station awarded prize for working to reduce inter-ethnic tension in Slovakia
- Slovakia: Two-day meeting of V4 presidents was to cover Romani community issues, among other matters
- Czechoslovakia launched the forced resettlement of Romani people 53 years ago
- ROMEA to Czech President: Romani life in communist Czechoslovakia included forced assimilation, forced sterilization of women, segregated education
- Slovak PM on Romani settlements: Incentivize employment, no tolerance for disorder
- Slovakia now has an MP from the Romani minority, Štefan Vavrek
- Slovakia: Girl from impoverished Romani family wins race running in flats
- Slovakia: Chair of neo-Nazi party indicted for using Nazi symbols on checks
- Slovakia: Romani youth in critical condition after brutal racist attack, police say they see no racist motive and make racist remarks themselves
- Slovak court finds Romani tenants were discriminated against during eviction and relocation
- Slovakia: Man shoots at Romani groundskeepers, then hangs Nazi flag from his window, is now in custody
- Polish football hooligans allegedly physically assault Romani man in Přerov, Czech Republic for objecting to their racist comments
- Several dozen Romani people protest in Sokolov, Czech Republic over the attack by football hooligans on local Roma
- Czech Police director of the Karlovy Vary Region: Internal Affairs Department investigating video of intervention by police in Sokolov
- EXCLUSIVE: Hradec Králové, Czech Republic, is on edge. Romani youth was assaulted and his jaw broken, but police dissuaded him from filing a crime report
- Czech court hands down sentencing in pool brawl case, one Romani man acquitted for having attempted to stop the altercation
- Daniela Abraham: The antigypsyist violence of my childhood is still happening in Central Europe
- Romani Union of Slovakia: Police brutality against children must be investigated by independent commission, the ministry could be biased
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities says she belives police brutality incident will be properly investigated, officer has been transferred
- European Court of Human Rights finds Slovak authorities did not properly investigate police brutality against Romani boy
- Czech court again acquits youths accused of assaulting man because of his skin color, prosecutor may appeal
- Scottish court convicts traffickers of exploiting young women
- Hate Killer 3000! campaign reminds bystanders in the Czech Republic how to stand up to hate