Some charges dropped against Romani couple in Greece who cared for Romani child from Bulgaria
The Greek wire service Athens News Agency (ANA) reports that a Greek court has dropped charges of abduction against the Romani couple who were discovered in 2013 to be caring for a blonde Romani girl named Maria. Christos Salis and his wife, Eleftheria Dimopoulou, are still being prosecuted for deceiving the authorities by asserting she was their daughter.
According to the court in the town of Larisa, there is not enough evidence to prosecute the couple for abduction. Maria was found living in central Greece with the Romani couple and the authorities began to suspect she was not their biological child because of her blonde hair and light complexion.
DNA tests ultimately demonstrated that the couple had been posing as her parents. Later, to the surprise of the authorities and the media, it was ascertained that Maria's mother is a Romani woman from Bulgaria.
Maria was left in Greece at the age of seven months in 2009 by her parents because they could not afford to care for her. The Greek Romani couple raised the child for four years before being taken into custody on abduction charges.
Before the case was fully explained, hysteria over blond children in Romani families began to break out elsewhere in Europe - for example, in Ireland children were wrongfully removed from their Romani parents on suspicion of not being their biological offspring. Recently the family of a blond Romani boy there who was removed from his parents have been compensated EUR 60 000 for the incident.
In another case of overreach, police in Dublin removed a seven-year-old blonde girl from another Romani couple because they allegedly were not certain she was actually their daughter. In that case as well DNA tests demonstrated she was in fact their children and the authorities returned the girl to her family.
- Volunteer civil society members of Czech Govt Roma Council: ombudsman intentionally undermining the dignity of Romani people
- Czech ombudsman criticizes draft Roma Strategy, rejects idea of updating information about compensation for forced sterilizations
- Czech racists hated Vodafone Christmas ad featuring non-white children, the company objects to their online comments
- Scandalous fourth acquittal by Czech court of racist football fans accused of assaulting Black man on tram
- Czech court gives suspended sentence to adults who assaulted young Romani children physically and verbally in a park last year
- German court sentences terrorist who attacked Halle synagogue last year to life in prison
- Racists in Czech capital assault non-white family, call the father "Cikán", give the Nazi salute, try to take their baby
- Older Romani woman recounts how security guards in Czech shop saved her from violent racist thug
- Bulgarian COVID-19 pandemic measures have closed Romani neighborhoods, causing job losses and food shortages
- Romani politicians: Slovak court's judgment in case of police abuse of children is unacceptable
- Slovenian scandal when weekly close to PM says God sent COVID-19 to "protect whites from corruption"
- Commentary: Senator infamous for antigypsyist remarks about the "cikánská question" joins regional party in the Czech Republic