Spanish Romani Union offers to aid Gov't with Romani refugees from Syria and elsewhere
The Spanish Romani Union (SRU) sent a letter on 7 September to Deputy Prime Minister Soraya Sáenz de Santamaría offering the services of its Legal Department for working with Romani and other refugees about to be redistributed to Spain by the European Union. In the letter, the SRU praises the Government for publicly confirming that Spain will not turn away any asylum-seekers and for creating an inter-ministerial commission on the issue of refugee redistribution.
The letter, signed by former MEP Juan de Dios Ramírez-Heredia, asserts that while Syrian Romanies in refugee camps are not identifying themselves as such, the media has reported that Syrian Roma are among the refugees in the migrant reception center in Melilla on the Moroccan border. The letter also discusses Roma reportedly fleeing Croatia and Roma in Iraq who are too impoverished to attempt flight.
- Juan de Dios Ramírez-Heredia: Hunger and fear are stronger than barbed-wire fences
- Ostalinda Maya Ovalle: The Myth of the Spanish Model of Roma Inclusion
- Spain: Mob sets two Romani-occupied homes on fire
- Film screening sheds light on Spain’s Romani Gypsy culture
- Spain criticises Italian policy towards immigration
- Gypsy camp evicted in Spain
- Czech President Havel protested against the wall separating non-Roma from Roma on Matiční Street 20 years ago
- Pavel Botoš: Who will stop the use of terms like "cigoši" in the Czech Republic?
- Iveta Bílková: Czech society should not tolerate words like "Cigán", "Cigoši", etc.
- Roma are most frequently targeted by hatred on the Czech Internet, experts say the law applies online too
- Czech Govt report on the state of the Romani minority estimates 830 ghettos with 127 000 inhabitants in the regions
- Slovakia: Café Európa discusses underrepresentation of Romani people in politics
- Hollywood Reporter says "The Painted Bird", starring a Romani child actor, is among the 20 best films this year
- Slovak President Zuzana Čaputová has breakfast with Romani students
- VIDEO: Ostentatious homes built by Roma community in Romania reflect their desire for prestige
- Austria, Germany on track to employ half of the refugees who arrived during the migration crisis four years ago
- Jozef Miker: Those who care about the homeless in the Czech Republic are bringing them food for free
- Slovak homeowner considers selling to Roma, so his neighbors graffiti his house and puncture his tires