Statement by Secretary of State John Kerry on International Roma Day
On behalf of President Obama and the American people, I honor all Roma on International Roma Day.
Today we celebrate the Romani people and their rich cultural heritage. But we are also mindful of the challenges that many Roma experience in their daily lives. For centuries, the Roma have suffered at the hands of history’s tyrants. Many still face the scourge of bigotry to this day.
The United States marks this occasion by reaffirming our commitment to the inclusion and equal treatment of all Roma people, wherever they call home. I commend the activists and citizens who fight every day to end discrimination against your people. No one should go hungry, be turned away from school, or denied a job because of baseless prejudices.
That’s why today and every day we renew our commitment to ensuring that all people — regardless of ethnicity, nationality, or creed — are allowed to reach their full potential.
Only then can we empower not just the Roma people, but all people.
- Council of Europe Commissioner for Human Rights: Roma fleeing Ukraine frequently face discrimination and prejudice
- Czech Labor and Social Affairs Minister gets a haircut at a Romani-owned barbershop to mark World Roma Day
- Michal Mižigár: What myths exist about World Roma Day and what is the reality?
- More than 3 000 people assembled to celebrate World Roma Day in Ostrava, Czech Republic - footage of performances here
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights: I wish all Romani men and women the very best for their day today, with all my heart!
- Jihlava, Czech Republic flies the Romani flag in honor of World Roma Day
- Slovak President Zuzana Čaputová met with Roma students on the occasion of World Roma Day
- European Parliament President warns of growing antigypsyism and sends greetings on World Roma Day
- Czech Prime Minister wishes Romani citizens of the Czech Republic "all the best" on World Roma Day
- Romani people worldwide celebrate World Roma Day, 8 April
- Brooke Pavek, an American with Romani roots, has more than 700 000 social media followers
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency and OSCE say governments must deliver aid to Roma affected by COVID-19 pandemic