Statement by Secretary of State John Kerry on International Roma Day
On behalf of President Obama and the American people, I honor all Roma on International Roma Day.
Today we celebrate the Romani people and their rich cultural heritage. But we are also mindful of the challenges that many Roma experience in their daily lives. For centuries, the Roma have suffered at the hands of history’s tyrants. Many still face the scourge of bigotry to this day.
The United States marks this occasion by reaffirming our commitment to the inclusion and equal treatment of all Roma people, wherever they call home. I commend the activists and citizens who fight every day to end discrimination against your people. No one should go hungry, be turned away from school, or denied a job because of baseless prejudices.
That’s why today and every day we renew our commitment to ensuring that all people — regardless of ethnicity, nationality, or creed — are allowed to reach their full potential.
Only then can we empower not just the Roma people, but all people.
- Jesse Jackson, American civil rights activist, to attend ceremony at Auschwitz Memorial marking Roma Holocaust Memorial Day
- Slovakia: Romani children from excluded communities sing Romani national anthem at the Presidential Palace
- Slovak football tournament brings together diplomats, Roma and politicians for the fifth time
- VIDEO: Gala celebration of International Romani Day 2019 in Prague's Archa Theater
- VIDEO: March of Proud Roma begins International Romani Day celebrations
- International Romani Day 2019 - Events in the Czech Republic
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT 17:30 CET: Prague begins celebrating International Romani Day
- Romani athlete Dominik Oračko of the Czech Republic wins two gold medals and one silver at the Youth World Weightlifting Championships
- USA: Shooter at synagogue in Pittsburgh remanded into custody without bail
- US Ambassador hangs the Romani flag at the US Embassy in Prague
- Czech Foreign Ministry flies Romani flag, outgoing Foreign Minister and Justice Minister meet with Roma
- Czech Republic: Romani students send video message for International Romani Day