Statement by Secretary of State John Kerry on International Roma Day
On behalf of President Obama and the American people, I honor all Roma on International Roma Day.
Today we celebrate the Romani people and their rich cultural heritage. But we are also mindful of the challenges that many Roma experience in their daily lives. For centuries, the Roma have suffered at the hands of history’s tyrants. Many still face the scourge of bigotry to this day.
The United States marks this occasion by reaffirming our commitment to the inclusion and equal treatment of all Roma people, wherever they call home. I commend the activists and citizens who fight every day to end discrimination against your people. No one should go hungry, be turned away from school, or denied a job because of baseless prejudices.
That’s why today and every day we renew our commitment to ensuring that all people — regardless of ethnicity, nationality, or creed — are allowed to reach their full potential.
Only then can we empower not just the Roma people, but all people.
- Araceli Cañadas Ortega: Romani women are the roots that feed our communities with care and love
- EU Commissioners greet the Roma on International Romani Day
- KHAMORO World Romani Festival marks International Romani Day with online anthem performance
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights on International Romani Day: Segregated schools are the shame of our country
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner thanks Roma for their aid during COVID-19 and wishes them well on International Romani Day
- Romani and non-Romani figures from the Czech Republic send greetings on International Romani Day: But bacht the sasťipen!
- Slovak President greets Romani people for International Romani Day: Paľikerav tumenge. Džanav mištes hoj jekhetane koda keraha
- Coronavirus: Three Lessons for International Roma Day
- Today International Romani Day celebrated worldwide to mark the beginning of the Romani movement
- Czech Republic's International Romani Day celebrations online: ARA ART holds gala evening "From One Living Room to Another"
- Czech Republic declares state of emergency over coronavirus pandemic, International Romani Day celebrations postponed
- Jesse Jackson, American civil rights activist, to attend ceremony at Auschwitz Memorial marking Roma Holocaust Memorial Day