The Roma-go-round – 1
Media reports and official statements about the return of Roma from France to Bulgaria and Romania used a variety of terms to describe the process, among them "deportation", "expulsion" and "repatriation" – sometimes, and technically accurately, "voluntary repatriation".
Whatever the terminology, there was another common thread in the media stories. Roma leaving France as a result of the campaign initiated by French president Nicolas Sarkozy’s government intended to make the return trip. This, in turn, raised two issues. First, that all the talk of Roma integration programmes hardly seemed matched by reality, and secondly and inevitably, whether the steady flow of Roma out of Bulgaria and Romania would imperil the two countries’ aspirations to join the European Union’s Schengen visa zone as planned in March 2011.
SPECIAL: The Situation in France
- Czech Republic: Media blow yet another incident of interethnic violence out of proportion
- Czech town's security survey attests long-held stereotypical attitides of mistrust toward Roma
- Czech media misreport that victim of crossbow shooting was allegedly a thief
- France: Head of ultra-right may face trial for racism
- Czech Republic: Platform for Social Housing says society needs homes
- Germans, Turks use trial of neo-Nazi Zschäpe to get their messages across
- Germany, other northern states want to ban “welfare tourism” by Romani people
- Budapest: Three neo-Nazis who assaulted WJC delegates sentenced
- New York Times visits previously segregated school in Slovakia
- Romani students from Czech Republic excelling at British school
- Slovakia: Romani Union Party says it is organizing a month of street protests
- Commission: EU funds should support Romani social inclusion from 2014 on
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.