The Roma-go-round – 2
It was a brisk trade: France sent Roma back to Romania, and Romania hurled criticism at France.
Romanian president Traian Basescu, while saying that Romania "understands the position of the French government" in deciding to repatriate foreign-born residents who could not support themselves or were a security threat, emphasised that Romania also supports "unconditionally the right of every Romanian citizen to travel without restrictions within the European Union" as his country is an EU member state.
France is among the majority of EU states in limiting labour market access to citizens of Romania and Bulgaria; in any case, EU law allows the repatriation of citizens from other EU states if they become a burden on their host country.
Romanian media reports quoted the country’s foreign minister Teodor Baconschi as saying that he was concerned about "populist provocation and xenophobic reactions" at a time of economic crisis. International organisations feared that the Roma were being made scapegoats to appease right-wing voters ahead of the country's upcoming presidential campaign, reports said.
SPECIAL: The Situation in France
- Germany, other northern states want to ban “welfare tourism” by Romani people
- Budapest: Three neo-Nazis who assaulted WJC delegates sentenced
- New York Times visits previously segregated school in Slovakia
- Romani students from Czech Republic excelling at British school
- Slovakia: Romani Union Party says it is organizing a month of street protests
- Commission: EU funds should support Romani social inclusion from 2014 on
- Valeriu Nicolae: Roma Social Inclusion Measures the European Commission Can and Should Take
- Cardinal Duka to attend commemoration of Romani victims of Nazism in Lety by Písek
- German President Joachim Gauck: Never economise on human rights
- Brussels: Romani women critique Czech town’s social inclusion program
- Czech EdMin awarded booby prize for data leak about Romani students
- UK: Fishery owner bans Eastern Europeans from accessing lake
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.