Two Roma fatally shot in attack in Hungarian village
Two members of Hungary's Roma minority died Monday after they were shot as they fled a house set ablaze in a pre- dawn arson attack, authorities said. The victims were a 43-year-old man and a 40-year-old woman, said police in Miskolc, the provincial capital. Another man suffered gunshot wounds.
Hungarian national police launched a special task force to investigate whether the killings in Nagycsecs, a village near the Romanian border, had a racist motive.
Police said petrol bombs were thrown at two houses with Roma residents, setting one on fire. When the four residents - two men, a woman and a child - fled the blaze, they came under shotgun fire, police said.
Hungary's justice and police minister, Tibor Draskovics, told reporters the government was treating the shootings as "an exceptionally important case."
Fire bombings of Roma settlements in Hungary have increased in recent months, although no deaths were previously reported. Authorities have rarely arrested any suspects.
- MEPs condemn rise of antisemitism in Europe, Czech MEP defends Hungary, blames migration
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency to publish results of research with Roma and Travellers in six EU Member States
- Petr Torák: Hate crimes spiked in the UK after the Brexit referendum, what will the elections bring?
- Iulius Rostas: Operationalizing the concept of anti-Gypsyism for policy design
- Commentary: Time for a European Union Army
- EU Court of Justice: EU Member State courts can instruct Facebook to delete illegal posts, including insults
- Czech PM says Government will not change the financing conditions for nonprofits drawing EU money
- Czech Finance Ministry proposes all EU financing for social projects be provided ex-post, which could cut nonprofits off from those resources
- VIDEO: Brussels demonstration by Romani people
- EU anti-fraud authority Hungarian program for Roma supported by EU funds has never worked and should be investigated
- Czech EP elections won by governing ANO party ahead of the Civic Democrats and Pirates
- Gabriela Hrabaňová: The EP elections will influence our lives