UK Association of Gypsy Women concerns with the European Union Rule of Law Mission (EULEX) in Kosovo
The UK Association of Gypsy Women have registered grave concerns with the European Union Rule of Law Mission (EULEX) in Kosovo, on the disgraceful and degrading treatment metered out by the Kosovo Police in an incident on the 5th February where reportedly, batons were used in a brutal and cowardly attack on a small group of Roma people, beating elderly and young men, women and children with batons also calling for reinforcements, simply because the people voiced their protest against officials moving desperately needed aid.
According to our information EULEX, is the largest civilian mission ever launched under the common security and defense policy, with approx 3,000 personnel. Its central aim is supposed to be, to assist and support the Kosovo authorities in the rule of law, specifically in areas of police and judiciary etc.
UKAGW have appealed to EULEX to advise Kosovo Police of the procedures that should be followed in such cases of serious complaint as the one reported on the 5th February which, in our humble opinion is a clear case of Police Brutality, we are also of the opinion that the police in this instance are in dire need of EULEX assistance and advice. Moreover, we sincerely hope EULEX will advise that a full investigation be launched with the immediate suspension of the officer’s concerned until the investigation is concluded and action to be taken thereof decided.
- Kosovo: Evidence found that hostages were killed for their organs
- New UNICEF report condemns German policy of deporting Roma children
- Dreaming of a better and safer future
- Slow progress on rights in Kosovo
- Kosovo’s Lead Camps to be Closed
- Call of UKAGW for immediate evacuation and re-settlement of the Roma community residing on lead contaminated camps in Kosovo
- OSCE warns of child trafficking in Kosovo
- Death camps for Roma in Kosovo
- Kosovo Constitution: Romano Them regrets lack of improvements for Roma community
- First visit to Roms on Kosovo
- OSCE mission supports project to help Kosovo's Roma returnees
- Roma Urge Inclusion In Kosovo