UK: It is a crime to curse someone for being English
Allusions to someone's origin or religion can be considered racist in Great Britain. A court in the town of Hull has recently found a man guilty for using the term "English" to insult a traffic warden during an argument over a parking ticket.
Czech Radio has reported on the news from the Daily Telegraph. Iranian national Mohammed Aklaghi also lightly physically assaulted the officer in August 2015 when he made the remark, and according to the verdict, he committed racism.
Aklaghi's defense in court was that he himself had repeatedly been the target of racism during his seven years in the UK. He also claimed to have had absolutely no idea that it would be racist to use the term "English".
"You have been the target of racism yourself and you therefore know how unpleasant it is," Judge Frederick Rutherford said when he sentenced Aklaghi to 100 hours of community service and a small fine. The Iranian national must pay the legal fees of the individual who brought suit and compensation to him in the amount of about CZK 5 000 (EUR 185).
- UK: Traveller people have to "prove" their ethnicity under new planning rules
- 31 % of British voters would send ultra-nationalists to the EP
- Czech region studying how Britons include Romani children in the schools
- Romani children from Czech "practical schools" master English mainstream education
- Czech Finance Ministry proposes all EU financing for social projects be provided ex-post, which could cut nonprofits off from those resources
- Slovakia: Video of police intervention against Roma at gas station goes viral, sparks protests
- Czech politicians react to Communist MP's false allegation that honoring the Roma victims of Nazism has raised the price of pork
- Italian Interior Minister Matteo Salvini faces criticism for calling Romani woman a "dirty gypsy"
- French court convicts six arsonists of attack on Romani people
- Czech court says use of force in response to racist abuse was proportionate, prosecutor appeals
- Slovak homeowner considers selling to Roma, so his neighbors graffiti his house and puncture his tires
- Czech MP says his assistant's remark that refugees could be killed with machine guns does not bother him
- French lawmaker, victimized herself by online hate, drafts law against it
- VIDEO: Brussels demonstration by Romani people
- England: Czech emigré of Romani origin establishes boxing team for children from the Czech Republic and Slovakia
- USA: Neo-Nazi gets life in prison for the Charlottesville massacre