UN Committee criticizes Czech Republic over Roma discrimination and xenophobia
The UN Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (CERD) published a report today on its review of the Czech Republic, which took place on 12 and 13 August in Geneva. Its report begins with an overview of positive steps, including the adoption of the Romani Integration Strategy and an amendment to the Schools Act that promotes inclusive education.
Criticism of the Czech Republic predominates, however. The report finds that the country is not producing any available, reliable statistical data about ethnic minorities.
CERD says insufficient funds were allocated to fulfilling the Government's Romani Integration Strategy and Strategy to Combat Social Exclusion in the past. The Commitee also notes that the number of people living in excluded localities has risen.
The report notes that prejudices against asylum-seekers and refugees, as well as Islamophobia, are spreading in Czech society. Romani people continue to be discriminated against with regard to accessing basic economic and social rights.
Lastly, CERD notes that Romani children continue to be segregated in the Czech schools. Too many Romani children are also placed into institutional care.
- Ethnic, religious, sexual minorities now suffering more discrimination in occupied Crimea and Donbas
- Council of Europe: Rejecting refugees on religious basis is pure discrimination
- Czech Republic: Romani situational tester of real estate discrimination appeals ruling for damages
- UN side event on discrimination as a root cause of Romani marginalization
- Czech Senate elections won by "Mayors" party, xenophobic rhetoric scored no votes, owner of disinformation tabloid not reseated
- Czech poll finds 30 % of the public does not want Romani children in mainstream classes and does want them to be segregated
- Czech court upholds suspended sentence for man who called for non-white first-graders to be gassed to death
- EP calls on EC to draft a law on the equality, inclusion and participation of Romani people and on combating antigypsyism
- European Commission acknowledges racism is structural and beefs up the fight against racial discrimination
- European Roma Rights Centre reports on human rights violations against Romani people during the pandemic this spring
- YouTube restores Czech politician's channel but deletes two posts that spread hate
- COMMENTARY: Even if the Czech Public Defender of Rights repeats the same lie about Roma a thousand times, that won't make it true
- Czech mayor claims all those number 8's in her event have noooothing to do with neo-Nazis
- Czech football hooligans' racism against black player to be addressed by disciplinary commission
- Germany: Trial begins of right-wing extremist charged with murder of local politician
- Slovak NGO reports that Romani children from excluded localities lack the online distance learning option