UN side event on discrimination as a root cause of Romani marginalization
Tomorrow, 16 June, a side event to the UN Human Rights Council session will further discuss the findings and recommendations of the recent study released by the Special Rapporteur on Minority Issues on the human rights situation of Roma. The report was officially presented on 15 June.
Representatives of the EU and several other UN member states worldwide welcomed the report during the 15 June session. The representative of Norway asked in particular whether the Special Rapporteur on Minority Issues might consider producing a joint report with the Special Rapporteur on adequate housing in future.
Panelists at tomorrow's side event will be Rita Izsák, UN Special Rapporteur on minority issues; Ulrich Bunje, Special Representative of the Secretary General of the Council of Europe for Roma issues; Ioannis Dimitrakopoulos, Head of the Equality and Citizens’ Rights Department, European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights; Andrzej Mirga, Chair of the Board of the Roma Education Fund; Jorge Bernal, Presidente de la Asociación Identidad Cultural Romaní de Argentina (AICRA); and Mirjam Karoly, Chief of the Contact Point for Roma and Sinti Issues at the Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights, OSCE. The discussion will be moderated by Istvàn Lakatos, Deputy Permanent Observer of the Council of Europe to the UN Office in Geneva.
The full report of the Special Rapporteur is available here. The Human Rights Council session will continue through 3 July.
- VIDEO: UN Human Rights Council review of anti-Gypsyism
- UN Human Rights Council review of anti-Gypsyism will be webcast live next week
- Document: SUBMISSION TO THE UNITED NATIONS HUMAN RIGHTS COMMITTEE CONCERNING IMPLEMENTATION OF THE INTERNATIONAL COVENANT ON CIVIL AND POLITICAL RIGHTS (ICCPR) IN THE CZECH REPUBLIC
- Slovak homeowner considers selling to Roma, so his neighbors graffiti his house and puncture his tires
- Organizer of 8 July protest by Romani people in Brussels is corrected by incoming MEP - "I've never spoken with him"
- Slovak court grants early release to vigilante who murdered three Roma at their home, prosecutor complains
- Czech Constitutional Court: Human rights defender has to count on "frustrated" people sending her death threats
- USA: Four-month-old Romani boy is youngest child to be separated from his parents at the border with Mexico
- Slovak church bungles inclusion of Romani newcomer into First Communion ceremony, charges of racial discrimination being investigated
- "Romani Army" by Berlin-based Maxim Gorki Theater Company gets standing ovation at Czech festival
- UN budget cuts endanger human rights monitoring - deadline to join NGO letter is TOMORROW 26 MAY
- Italian authorities investigate 65 neo-Fascists in Rome after anti-Roma protests
- Czech Agriculture Ministry advises hiring Ukrainian labor despite domestic Romani labor offer for bark beetle work
- Czech ice hockey star of Romani origin and NHL draft pick moves to new domestic team
- Zeljko Jovanovic: Roma, make our voices heard in the European Parliament elections!