USA: Number of cases of anti-Semitism grows since Trump elected
Yesterday the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) announced that the number of anti-Semitic incidents in the United States has been significantly growing since last year's presidential campaign and the subsequent victory of Republican Party candidate Donald Trump. During 2016, according to the ADL, 34 % more such cases happened compared to 2015.
The group says the year-on-year growth in such incidents for the first quarter of 2017 is 86 %. Last year there were 1 266 anti-Semitic incidents in the USA, of which more than half were harassment and threats, the ADL reported.
Year-on-year the number of cases of anti-Semitic vandalism and violent assault also rose by 35 %. Approximately 30 % of all anti-Semitic incidents last year happened in November and December.
During the first quarter of 2017 the ADL has recorded 541 attacks against Jewish people. "The presidential elections in the year 2016 and the extreme political atmosphere played a role in that growth," the ADL said.
White House spokesperson Michael Short responded to the publication of the statistics by saying that President Trump constantly opposes anti-Semitism. Reuters reports that Short said Trump most recently did so on Sunday on the occasion of Holocaust Remembrance Day.
- Czech Republic's Fulbright Commission opens course preparing Romani students for study in the USA
- Inclusive education from the Czech Republic to Georgia to the USA
- USA: Tech firm staffers refuse to work for Trump
- Romani fashion designer wins international competition in the USA
- Poland: German television series sued for scenes depicting Polish anti-Semitism during WWII
- Hungary faces harsh criticism for anti-democratic developments, including anti-Gypsyism and anti-Semitism
- Czech Republic: Hundreds protest anti-Semitism in Prague
- Czech Republic: European legislative heads say anti-Semitism and intolerance must not be tolerated
- Jesse Jackson, American civil rights activist, to attend ceremony at Auschwitz Memorial marking Roma Holocaust Memorial Day
- Czech Federation of Jewish Communities logged 347 antisemitic incidents last year, police addressed 15
- VIDEO: Attacks on Roma in Russia apparently continued with arson
- Czech candidate shocked when online haters targeted her two-year-old
- Commentary: What can the European elections improve? The Czech Republic's global image
- Nazi concentration camp survivors say authors of hateful online comments should be ashamed of themselves
- Spain: Two Romani men and two Romani women elected to national legislature, an historic success
- Slovak football tournament brings together diplomats, Roma and politicians for the fifth time
- Romani athlete Dominik Oračko of the Czech Republic wins two gold medals and one silver at the Youth World Weightlifting Championships
- Inspiration from Sweden could aid Czech Republic with combating disinformation
- Polish prosecutor investigating anti-Jewish demonstration at the gates of Auschwitz
- Czech Police release video footage to find assailants of foreign national in Brno