USA: Organizer of last year's fatal ultra-right march plans a reprise in the nation's capital
Jason Kessler, the organizer of last year's ultra-right demonstration in Charlottesville, Virginia, USA, which turned fatally violent, is planning to hold another such event in August in Washington, D.C. The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) reported the news on 21 June, adding that he has acquired the preliminary consent of the authorities to hold the event.
As of 22 June, permits for the event had yet to be issued. During last year's demonstration in Charlottesville a 20-year-old neo-Nazi drove an automobile into a crowd of those counter-protesting the radical white nationalists who were demonstrating, killing one woman and injuring 20 other people.
US President Donald Trump subsequently earned criticism by saying both sides of the conflict had been responsible for the violence. Kessler has announced that he intends to hold an "assembly for the civil rights of white people" on 11 and 12 August in Lafayette Park near the White House.
The event will be held to mark the one-year anniversary of the march by right-wing radicals in Charlottesville. The National Park Service, which is in charge of administering different historical monuments, national memorials, national parks and nature reserves throughout the United States, has reportedly already given Kessler their preliminary agreement to his holding the event, although no permit for it had been issued when the BBC reported the news.
The ultra-right activist estimates about 400 people will attend the demonstration. He has also promised to collaborate with police on safety.
- USA: High school students protest school shootings, demand stricter controls on guns
- Chair of Prague DSSS celebrates ultra-right terrorist murdering woman in USA
- USA: Daily Stormer, a neo-Nazi website, offline after boycott
- USA: Trump flip-flops after condemning "white supremacists", now talks "left-wing terrorism"
- Czech Republic: Assembly to honor the victim of the neo-Nazi terror attack in the USA
- USA: Neo-Nazi website shut down after insulting Charlottesville murder victim
- USA: Politicians and public pressure Trump to condemn white racists behind Saturday's deadly violence
- USA: Charlottesville mayor says Saturday's incident was terrorism, FBI investigating
- USA: "White nationalist" rally blamed for three deaths and 19 injuries
- Slovak Prosecutor says party head clearly used neo-Nazi symbolism so his followers would know his views
- Assistant to Czech MP fined for calling for migrants to be shot, he may appeal
- Regional candidate for newest Czech party featured in music video by infamous establisher of neo-Nazi movement
- COMMENTARY: Even if the Czech Public Defender of Rights repeats the same lie about Roma a thousand times, that won't make it true
- Romani women call on Czech MPs to take the first step toward compensating forcibly, illegally sterilized persons, 150 figures support them
- Czech Television reports that elected politicians' names have been removed from official report on extremism for 2019
- Czech bus driver refuses to drive city bus with bigoted campaign ad, mayor negotiates its removal
- Analysis: European populists lose their charm to scandals, trials and unpaid debts
- Czech Police charge author of antigypsyist article about arson for that and other offenses
- Czech NGO ROMEA and vice-chair of Pirates file criminal report over online racist commentaries about arson in Bohumín
- Czech mayor claims all those number 8's in her event have noooothing to do with neo-Nazis
- Facebook says it may disallow pages of far-right Czech party and its leaders