Valery Novoselsky, Romani activist and founder of the Roma Virtual Network, has passed away
The Roma Times news server cites a report published by the Romani editors of Swedish Radio that Romani activist Valery Novoselsky of Israel, who founded Roma Virtual Network, passed away on 20 August 2016 at the age of 46. Mr Novoselsky passed away while attending a Romani music festival in Riga, Latvia.
Mr Novoselsky was born on 15 April 1970 in Dniepropetrovsk, Ukraine, USSR. He lived there until 1993.
From 1993 to 1995 he lived in Moscow, after which he moved to Israel. In July 1999 Mr Novoselsky established Roma Virtual Network and pioneered Romani community presence on the Internet.
Through several different listservs Mr Novoselsky distributed information from and about Romani communities to the entire world. In the year 2000 he became a member of the International Romani Union.
He was also an active member in other European Roma institutions. In addition to Romani activism, Mr Novoselsky contributed to the work of many public initiatives, attending conferences and similar events.
- Magdalena Karvayová: Parents in the ghettos need to see education offers their children a future
- Romani musician Jan Surmaj has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Edita Stejskalová: Czech PM has decided not to establish the post of Commissioner for Romani Affairs
- Czech SocDem chair threatens to bring down Govt if ultranationalist nominee appointed to Czech News Agency board
- New vice-chair of the Czech Govt Romani Affairs Council: Problems must be addressed, especially in difficult times
- Miroslav Kováč, former chair of the Equal Opportunities Party in the Czech Republic, has passed away after a long illness
- Russian military television grossly exaggerates Czech turnout for anti-EU demonstration
- Richard Samko's message to the late singer Věra Bílá: Me, nikda nazabisterav, palikerav tumege
- LIVE BROADCAST TUESDAY 26 MARCH: Council of Europe holds the 7th International Roma Women's Conference
- VIDEO: 2 000 people in Rokycany, Czech Republic, pay their respects to the Queen of Romani Music, Věra Bílá
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY from the Czech Republic: Funeral of the Queen of Romani Music, Věra Bílá
- England: Requiem mass held for Věra Bílá, the Queen of Romani Music