VIDEO: We are the change! Young Roma want to get into politics
One way to overcome discrimination against Roma and ensure their equal status in society, according to the organization ERIO (European Roma Information Office), is the involvement of Romani youth in politics. The organization has now released a video in which young Roma appear from five different European countries - Albania, Belgium, Bulgaria, Macedonia and Spain.
The campaign aims to combat prejudices and stereotypes about Romani people through policy. It will increase awareness of Romani youth about positive role models in politics, try to change society's negative attitudes towards Roma, and highlight the importance of political participation.
Besides producing videos and posters featuring Roma politicians, a European Conference was held in Brussels last June on the issue of increasing Romani participation in politics. The just-released video has subtitles in 15 languages and is available on YouTube.
- Czech presidential candidate said three years ago that Roma justifiably feel surrounded by barriers
- Czech candidate for 2018 presidential run says social exclusion is a topic of his campaign
- Czech Senate elections: Some anti-Romani candidates win, some lose
- Commentary: Czech Regional and Senate elections - Roma didn't vote, Romani candidates didn't win
- Czech regional elections. Romani candidate for LEV21, Miroslav Jano: I don't like combining with the ultra-right, after this I'm out
- Czech regional elections. Romani SocDem candidate Rudolf Polák: Pay must motivate semi-skilled laborers too
- Czech regional elections. Romani candidate for the Greens/Pirates, Karel Karika: No more socially excluded localities
- Czech regional elections: Romani ODS candidate Milan Horvát says small-town schools need good educators
- Prague Pride changes website after recommending supporters vote for racist candidates
- Czech Republic: Racist murderer of Romani man is ultra-right's candidate in regional elections
- Czech Republic: Local Romani candidates not on executive, but do chair committee
- Slovakia: Candidate offering remuneration to Roma for sterilization
- Slovakia: Romani parties nominate hundreds of candidates for local elections
- Czech Republic: Interview with local Romani candidate Ladislav Sivak
- Czech Constitutional Court rejects complaint from neo-Nazi convicted of 2012 arson
- Tomáš Ščuka: Romani people need competent representation first and foremost, not Romani representation at all costs
- Romania: 900 protest recent violence against Roma in Italy and Ukraine, more demonstrations in other European countries to follow
- Now that evictees are housed, Czech local government attacks NGOs and the poor
- OSCE Mission to Serbia responds to Romani NGOs about alleged radicalization, references British Council report
- Italy: Romani infant hospitalized after being shot with pellet gun
- Romani NGOs around Europe ask why the OSCE is researching alleged radicalization of their communities in Serbia
- Czech politician spreads hateful racist hoaxes online against dark-skinned footballers, Muslims and Roma
- Edita Stejskalová: OSCE should send observer missions to Ukraine regarding pogroms against Roma and monitor the police investigation
- Italy's Lombardy Region first to conduct census of Roma and Sinti, plans to raze illegal camps, Romani organizations protesting
- Jan Cibrik explains his collaboration with Czech city officials who are so harsh about impoverished Roma
- Czech city with homeless evictees refused Govt Agency for Social Inclusion help, some local Roma petitioned against it
Tags:Albania, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Politics, prejudice, Roma, Romani women, Spain, Youth
Czech local election campaign slogan: "Poison alone is not strong enough for these pests" - meaning Romani people7.9.2018 17:49
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.