VIDEO: We are the change! Young Roma want to get into politics
One way to overcome discrimination against Roma and ensure their equal status in society, according to the organization ERIO (European Roma Information Office), is the involvement of Romani youth in politics. The organization has now released a video in which young Roma appear from five different European countries - Albania, Belgium, Bulgaria, Macedonia and Spain.
The campaign aims to combat prejudices and stereotypes about Romani people through policy. It will increase awareness of Romani youth about positive role models in politics, try to change society's negative attitudes towards Roma, and highlight the importance of political participation.
Besides producing videos and posters featuring Roma politicians, a European Conference was held in Brussels last June on the issue of increasing Romani participation in politics. The just-released video has subtitles in 15 languages and is available on YouTube.
- Czech presidential candidate said three years ago that Roma justifiably feel surrounded by barriers
- Czech candidate for 2018 presidential run says social exclusion is a topic of his campaign
- Czech Senate elections: Some anti-Romani candidates win, some lose
- Commentary: Czech Regional and Senate elections - Roma didn't vote, Romani candidates didn't win
- Czech regional elections. Romani candidate for LEV21, Miroslav Jano: I don't like combining with the ultra-right, after this I'm out
- Czech regional elections. Romani SocDem candidate Rudolf Polák: Pay must motivate semi-skilled laborers too
- Czech regional elections. Romani candidate for the Greens/Pirates, Karel Karika: No more socially excluded localities
- Czech regional elections: Romani ODS candidate Milan Horvát says small-town schools need good educators
- Prague Pride changes website after recommending supporters vote for racist candidates
- Czech Republic: Racist murderer of Romani man is ultra-right's candidate in regional elections
- Czech Republic: Local Romani candidates not on executive, but do chair committee
- Slovakia: Candidate offering remuneration to Roma for sterilization
- Slovakia: Romani parties nominate hundreds of candidates for local elections
- Czech Republic: Interview with local Romani candidate Ladislav Sivak
- Czech court finds author of death threats against human rights defenders committed a politically-motivated hate crime
- Commentary: Czech President Zeman's racism and Romani people
- Interview with Czech and European kickbox champion from the Romani community, Václav Sivák
- Italian Deputy Prime Minister says EU Justice Commissioner's critique of Italy's treatment of Roma is "nonsense"
- Italian Deputy PM Salvini is behaving like a neo-Fascist, former Italian Labor Minister says
- Czech organization remembers the Nazi genocide and aids its Romani victims
- Portugal: Christian radio station awarded prize for working to reduce inter-ethnic tension in Slovakia
- Slovakia: Two-day meeting of V4 presidents was to cover Romani community issues, among other matters
- Czech elections: 13 Romani local assembly members, no Romani senators
- Martina Horváthová: Freely casting your ballot is your right - and nobody else's business!
- Robin Stria, 7th place candidate for the Greens, Brno-střed: The biggest problem in the Czech Republic is housing
- Czech civil society groups, Romani ones included, protest students inviting ultra-right candidate to debates ahead of elections
Tags:Albania, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Politics, prejudice, Roma, Romani women, Spain, Youth
Czech court finds author of death threats against human rights defenders committed a politically-motivated hate crime14.11.2018 8:46
Czech archaeological samples yet to find exact location of victims' mass grave at Romani genocide site12.11.2018 18:07
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.