VIDEO: We are the change! Young Roma want to get into politics
One way to overcome discrimination against Roma and ensure their equal status in society, according to the organization ERIO (European Roma Information Office), is the involvement of Romani youth in politics. The organization has now released a video in which young Roma appear from five different European countries - Albania, Belgium, Bulgaria, Macedonia and Spain.
The campaign aims to combat prejudices and stereotypes about Romani people through policy. It will increase awareness of Romani youth about positive role models in politics, try to change society's negative attitudes towards Roma, and highlight the importance of political participation.
Besides producing videos and posters featuring Roma politicians, a European Conference was held in Brussels last June on the issue of increasing Romani participation in politics. The just-released video has subtitles in 15 languages and is available on YouTube.
- Czech presidential candidate said three years ago that Roma justifiably feel surrounded by barriers
- Czech candidate for 2018 presidential run says social exclusion is a topic of his campaign
- Czech Senate elections: Some anti-Romani candidates win, some lose
- Commentary: Czech Regional and Senate elections - Roma didn't vote, Romani candidates didn't win
- Czech regional elections. Romani candidate for LEV21, Miroslav Jano: I don't like combining with the ultra-right, after this I'm out
- Czech regional elections. Romani SocDem candidate Rudolf Polák: Pay must motivate semi-skilled laborers too
- Czech regional elections. Romani candidate for the Greens/Pirates, Karel Karika: No more socially excluded localities
- Czech regional elections: Romani ODS candidate Milan Horvát says small-town schools need good educators
- Prague Pride changes website after recommending supporters vote for racist candidates
- Czech Republic: Racist murderer of Romani man is ultra-right's candidate in regional elections
- Czech Republic: Local Romani candidates not on executive, but do chair committee
- Slovakia: Candidate offering remuneration to Roma for sterilization
- Slovakia: Romani parties nominate hundreds of candidates for local elections
- Czech Republic: Interview with local Romani candidate Ladislav Sivak
- Italian authorities investigate 65 neo-Fascists in Rome after anti-Roma protests
- Czech Agriculture Ministry advises hiring Ukrainian labor despite domestic Romani labor offer for bark beetle work
- Czech ice hockey star of Romani origin and NHL draft pick moves to new domestic team
- Zeljko Jovanovic: Roma, make our voices heard in the European Parliament elections!
- Spain: Two Romani men and two Romani women elected to national legislature, an historic success
- Amnesty International: No justice one year after attack on a Romani camp in Ukraine
- European Roma Information Office launches social media campaign to increase Roma voter turnout in EP elections
- Czech Government is neutral on introducing public interest prosecutions of discrimination
- Bulgarian media showed edited footage of interethnic altercation in shop - full footage shows a different story
- Bulgaria: Roma fear imminent genocide after mob violence, police have been deployed
- Slovakia: Romani children from excluded communities sing Romani national anthem at the Presidential Palace
- International Romani Day 2019 - Events in the Czech Republic