VIDEO: We are the change! Young Roma want to get into politics
One way to overcome discrimination against Roma and ensure their equal status in society, according to the organization ERIO (European Roma Information Office), is the involvement of Romani youth in politics. The organization has now released a video in which young Roma appear from five different European countries - Albania, Belgium, Bulgaria, Macedonia and Spain.
The campaign aims to combat prejudices and stereotypes about Romani people through policy. It will increase awareness of Romani youth about positive role models in politics, try to change society's negative attitudes towards Roma, and highlight the importance of political participation.
Besides producing videos and posters featuring Roma politicians, a European Conference was held in Brussels last June on the issue of increasing Romani participation in politics. The just-released video has subtitles in 15 languages and is available on YouTube.
- Czech presidential candidate said three years ago that Roma justifiably feel surrounded by barriers
- Czech candidate for 2018 presidential run says social exclusion is a topic of his campaign
- Czech Senate elections: Some anti-Romani candidates win, some lose
- Commentary: Czech Regional and Senate elections - Roma didn't vote, Romani candidates didn't win
- Czech regional elections. Romani candidate for LEV21, Miroslav Jano: I don't like combining with the ultra-right, after this I'm out
- Czech regional elections. Romani SocDem candidate Rudolf Polák: Pay must motivate semi-skilled laborers too
- Czech regional elections. Romani candidate for the Greens/Pirates, Karel Karika: No more socially excluded localities
- Czech regional elections: Romani ODS candidate Milan Horvát says small-town schools need good educators
- Prague Pride changes website after recommending supporters vote for racist candidates
- Czech Republic: Racist murderer of Romani man is ultra-right's candidate in regional elections
- Czech Republic: Local Romani candidates not on executive, but do chair committee
- Slovakia: Candidate offering remuneration to Roma for sterilization
- Slovakia: Romani parties nominate hundreds of candidates for local elections
- Czech Republic: Interview with local Romani candidate Ladislav Sivak
- Czech Republic: Historian confims remarkable story of Romani war hero Imrich Horváth with military archival documents
- Amnesty International and European Roma Rights Centre: Situation for Romani children in Slovakia is not improving
- Demonstration in Barcelona calls on Spanish state to receive more refugees
- Anniversary of the death of Helena Biháriová, one of the first victims of racial murder in post-1989 Czech Republic
- Czech Republic's Fulbright Commission opens course preparing Romani students for study in the USA
- Stano Daniel: Fico's the "gypsy", I am a Rom
- Central and East European NGOs critique EU Member States barring asylum-seekers
- American Ambassador to Czech Republic Cites Roma Causes, Russian Threat in Final Press Conference
- Slovakia: Entrepreneur organizes food distribution to the needy
- Together We Can: David Tišer
- Human Rights Watch: Success of populists in Europe and US endangers human rights
- Renáta Kováčová: Tragic death in UK of two Romani girls from Czech Republic sparks horrible online commentary
Tags:Albania, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Politics, prejudice, Roma, Romani women, Spain, Youth
Jana Šedivcová: Are all Czech children cat killers and all Romani children flamingo killers? Collective blame is unacceptable17.3.2017 15:03
Patrik Banga: I'm for collecting ethnic data in all areas, but the majority can't tell who is Romani17.3.2017 10:17
discussion about whether estimating the numbers of Romani people should even happen and if so, what the appropriate method is to use.
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.