YouTube wants to combat disinformation and hatred, hiring thousands to remove harmful content
The Alphabet company, which owns the Google search engine and through it the YouTube internet portal for sharing videos, is hiring more staffers. They will be tasked with inspecting and removing videos with extremist, violent content.
Susan Wojcicki, the head of YouTube, blogged on 5 December that there are meant to be as many as 10 000 new hires within Google for this purpose next year. Critics have blamed her firm for disseminating disinformation, hateful commentaries, and videos with content that is harmful to children.
The YouTube head posted that in addition to increasing the number of "overseers", YouTube is also working on machine technology that will automatically label content as harmful. Thanks to the development of such technology, controllers are already able to delete almost five times more videos than before.
As many as 98 % of the videos of violent content deleted currently are labeled harmful by an algorithm, British daily The Guardian quotes Wojcicki as saying. The firm is also beginning to apply stricter criteria and to broaden their team of reviewers for advertising content.
Last month numerous renowned firms removed their advertisements from both Google and YouTube. The companies did not like their ads appearing next to videos with sexual commentaries about children.
- Czech Greens call on Prague Vice-Mayor to stop sharing racist video
- Czech talk show host uses YouTube to explain TV Prima's contract with him to TV Prima and the public
- UK: Archive of unique reportages about Roma dating back to 1910 now on YouTube
- Russia: The World Cup begins with concerns about homophobia, racism, and violence
- Czech Interior Ministry: SPD movement has assumed the agenda of the extreme right
- Ukraine: Paramilitaries broadcast live pogrom against Roma on Facebook, the fourth in the last six weeks
- Czech Govt has yet to release report stating that the SPD party poses more of a threat than extremists do
- Slovakia: Filipino attempts to prevent harassment of women, harasser kicks him to death
- Renata Berkyová: How a Czech gadjo from Reflex magazine couldn't help showing his racism
- Ukraine: Third arson attack against Roma in a month, firearms also used against 7 adults, 30+ children
- Czech trial of shooting at Romani music camp hears testimony about shooter's verbal abuse as well
- Germany: Wife of WWII-era Nazi has failed to show up for prison after conviction for inciting hatred
- Emiliya Dancheva: Can we trust the European Parliament if its members are deaf and blind to anti-Gypsyism in Bulgaria?
- Czech prosecutors announce first indictment in case of online hate speech against first-graders
- MEP Soraya Post for ROMEA TV: Antigypsyism exists everywhere in Europe
Tags:Hoax, Media, Hate, Racism
Romani entrepreneurs push for unemployed Roma, not foreigners, to be hired for Czech bark beetle eradication16.6.2018 8:46
Renata Berkyová: Concept of the Porajmos as a reflection of the marginalization of Roma in historiography6.6.2018 13:25
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.