YouTube wants to combat disinformation and hatred, hiring thousands to remove harmful content
The Alphabet company, which owns the Google search engine and through it the YouTube internet portal for sharing videos, is hiring more staffers. They will be tasked with inspecting and removing videos with extremist, violent content.
Susan Wojcicki, the head of YouTube, blogged on 5 December that there are meant to be as many as 10 000 new hires within Google for this purpose next year. Critics have blamed her firm for disseminating disinformation, hateful commentaries, and videos with content that is harmful to children.
The YouTube head posted that in addition to increasing the number of "overseers", YouTube is also working on machine technology that will automatically label content as harmful. Thanks to the development of such technology, controllers are already able to delete almost five times more videos than before.
As many as 98 % of the videos of violent content deleted currently are labeled harmful by an algorithm, British daily The Guardian quotes Wojcicki as saying. The firm is also beginning to apply stricter criteria and to broaden their team of reviewers for advertising content.
Last month numerous renowned firms removed their advertisements from both Google and YouTube. The companies did not like their ads appearing next to videos with sexual commentaries about children.
- Czech Greens call on Prague Vice-Mayor to stop sharing racist video
- Czech talk show host uses YouTube to explain TV Prima's contract with him to TV Prima and the public
- UK: Archive of unique reportages about Roma dating back to 1910 now on YouTube
- Hundreds of videos inciting racial hatred available on YouTube
- VIDEO: "We don't want Fascists here" - protests against Prague meeting of xenophobic parties from around Europe
- Co-chair of Green Party says Czech taxpayers should not pay to protect Holocaust deniers visiting Prague
- Czech Republic: Hundreds demonstrate against meeting of anti-immigration hate parties from all over Europe
- Czech Police investigate party secretary who called for the gassing of Jews and Roma
- Stanislava Ondová: The Czech courts use a double standard for non-Roma and Roma, I may emigrate
- EU High Level Group on combating racism features Roma participants from Czech Republic, discusses Afrophobia
- Petition demands Czech President resign and SPD party be dissolved for supporting racism
- Czech sociologist: We must face down xenophobia by supporting those who are intimidated
- Germany: 14 month sentence for Holocaust denial just the latest conviction of 89-year-old
- Czech bureaucrat who compared Roma to jellyfish resigns from Social Democrats
- Czech party functionary who called for murder of gays, Jews and Roma will no longer assist MP
- Czech sociologist: Racist online calls to gas children are unacceptable
Tags:Hoax, Media, Hate, Racism
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.