YouTube wants to combat disinformation and hatred, hiring thousands to remove harmful content
The Alphabet company, which owns the Google search engine and through it the YouTube internet portal for sharing videos, is hiring more staffers. They will be tasked with inspecting and removing videos with extremist, violent content.
Susan Wojcicki, the head of YouTube, blogged on 5 December that there are meant to be as many as 10 000 new hires within Google for this purpose next year. Critics have blamed her firm for disseminating disinformation, hateful commentaries, and videos with content that is harmful to children.
The YouTube head posted that in addition to increasing the number of "overseers", YouTube is also working on machine technology that will automatically label content as harmful. Thanks to the development of such technology, controllers are already able to delete almost five times more videos than before.
As many as 98 % of the videos of violent content deleted currently are labeled harmful by an algorithm, British daily The Guardian quotes Wojcicki as saying. The firm is also beginning to apply stricter criteria and to broaden their team of reviewers for advertising content.
Last month numerous renowned firms removed their advertisements from both Google and YouTube. The companies did not like their ads appearing next to videos with sexual commentaries about children.
- Czech Greens call on Prague Vice-Mayor to stop sharing racist video
- Czech talk show host uses YouTube to explain TV Prima's contract with him to TV Prima and the public
- UK: Archive of unique reportages about Roma dating back to 1910 now on YouTube
- A quarter of a century ago, 18 racists hounded a Romani man to death; the Czech courts convicted just three
- Monika Mihaličková: Soske ME DŽAV?! Let's contain this political cesspool!
- Czech court hears accused assailants of African man deny they racially abused him in any way
- Czech tabloid will not be inviting ultra-right party representatives to its online debates
- Czech media, police accuse Romani family of inciting brawl with non-Roma at children's pool, Romea.cz first to report the Romani mother's testimony
- Czech Constitutional Court rejects complaint from neo-Nazi convicted of 2012 arson
- Czech Police refute rumors that defecation in public pool was done by Roma - defamatory article sparked a racist wave online
- Eyewitnesses allege staff at Czech lake did not help Vietnamese mothers look for their children, who drowned
- Italy: Moroccan beaten to death, athlete of Nigerian origin attacked as fascists in the Govt spread racism
- LIVE BROADCAST: RomanoNet delivers protest manifesto to the Italian Embassy about Italy's racist measures against Roma
- Amateur photo contest won with images of Romani people sparks hateful reactions on Czech internet
- Romania: 900 protest recent violence against Roma in Italy and Ukraine, more demonstrations in other European countries to follow
Tags:Hoax, Media, Hate, Racism
Czech Inspector-General prosecuting two police officers for torturing Romani man into a false confession18.9.2018 6:38
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.