romea - logo
August 20, 2022

 

SEARCH
 

Státní zastupitelství

A woman with her collection of Nazi swastikas around her neck on 25 April 2019 during a demonstration on Wenceslas Square in Prague by the populist-xenophobic
A woman with her collection of Nazi swastikas around her neck on 25 April 2019 during a demonstration on Wenceslas Square in Prague by the populist-xenophobic "Freedom and Direct Democracy Movement of Tomio Okamura" (SPD) that featured speeches by Marine Le Pen, Matteo Salvini and Geert Wilders as well as a concert by a neo-Nazi band. (PHOTO: Video by REFLEX, Collage by Romea.cz)

Czech prosecutor agrees with police that threat to burn down ROMEA is not a crime

12.6.2017 7:19 A threat to burn down an NGO is apparently not a crime in the Czech Republic. Police and one District State Prosecutor's Office don't see one such incident that way, at least.  full story

--ilustrační foto--

Czech state prosecutor rejects complaint from family of Romani man who died in presence of police

28.4.2017 6:54 The Regional State Prosecutor in Ústí nad Labem, Andrea Janáková, has rejected point by point all of the reservations expressed by the attorney for the family of Miroslav Demeter, Jr., who died on 18 October in a pizzeria in the Czech town of Žatec after being pacified by a group of men in the presence of municipal patrol officers. Janáková has now said she identifies with the criticized conclusions of the supervising state prosecutor and with the approach taken by the police.  full story

--ilustrační foto--

Czech prosecutor to review police procedure in case of Romani man who died in pizzeria

1.4.2017 10:26 The regional-level Office of the State Prosecutor will be reviewing the case of 26-year-old Miroslav Demeter, Jr., who died on 18 October 2016 at the Panamera Pizzeria in the Czech town of Žatec. The father of the deceased has informed news server Romea.cz of the development.  full story

--ilustrační foto--

Analysis: Apartheid and segregation are being applied to Romani schoolchildren in the Czech Republic

24.3.2016 2:03 Romani children comprise almost one-third of the pupils who now attend schools previously referred to as "special schools" (zvláštní školy) even though less than 3 % of the population of the Czech Republic is Romani. That fact was reported by the international human rights protection organization Amnesty International (AI) in February in a report entitled "Must Try Harder - Ethnic Discrimination of Romani Children in Czech Schools".  full story

--ilustrační foto--

Czech prosecutor said Amnesty International report about discrimination of Roma in schools was "pseudo-research"

9.3.2016 19:07 The Czech daily Právo published a news item today citing an official notification released by State Prosecutor Zdeňka Galková last year in the matter of a report of suspected criminal behavior filed against the leadership of Amnesty International (AI) by the head of the Department of Education and European Funds at the Prague 9 municipal department, Martin Odehnal, who was previously the director of the Special Education Department at the Czech Education Ministry. Odehnal contacted police because of an AI report published last year called "Must Try Harder - Ethnic Discrimination of Romani Children in Czech Schools" ("Chce to více snahy - Etnická diskriminace romských dětí v českých školách").  full story

--ilustrační foto--

Czech authorities alarmingly unwilling to prosecute online hate crimes

Prague, 22.10.2014 0:10, (ROMEA) Ill-will, incompetence or indifference. In which category does the inactivity of the Czech Police with respect to racist threats and verbal attacks belong?  full story

--ilustrační foto--

Commentary: Czech trial of police president shows state attorney not independent

Prague, 16.1.2014 23:56, (ROMEA) The recent trial of Czech Police President Petr Lessy unfortunately has once again demonstrated the inability of the state attorney to proceed independently. I personally consider Lessy to be incompetent and to bear his share of the blame for the very poor reputation of the police, who constantly face criticism from human rights activists; despite this, I cannot agree with his being convicted without evidence.  full story

--ilustrační foto--

Slovakia: Court acquits non-Romani youth of stabbing Romani man to death

Košice, Slovakia, 18.12.2013 0:50, (ROMEA) The District Court in the Slovak town of Košice has acquitted a non-Romani youth of stabbing a Romani man to death even though there is no question he committed the crime. Several psychiatrists testified that he was not responsible for his actions at the time, while other experts came to the opposite conclusion.  full story

--ilustrační foto--

Czech state prosecutor objects to release of Romani people charged with Duchcov attack, they remain in custody

Duchcov, 6.9.2013 22:48, (ROMEA) The state prosecutor has filed a complaint against a recent decision to release from custody the three Romani people who assaulted a non-Romani married couple this past May in the town of Duchcov, an incident that prompted an ongoing series of anti-Roma demonstrations there. The defendants are remaining in custody for the time being.  full story

--ilustrační foto--

Czech High Court softens verdict against Romani NGO director for falsifying data

Prague, 25.7.2013 16:25, (ROMEA) Today the High Court in Prague relaxed the original sentence of six years in prison handed down for subsidy fraud and falsifying official documents against Ladislav Bílý, the head of the Roma Civic Association (Romské občanské sdružení - ROS) in Karlovy Vary, shortening it to a three-year suspended sentence with five years' probation. The court upheld the first-instance ban on Bílý running any other nonprofits as well as the suspension of his driver's license.  full story

--ilustrační foto--

Czech Republic: Crossbow shooter gets 10 years for manslaughter of Romani man

Ostrava, 31.5.2013 21:45, (ROMEA) Jaromír Šebesta (age 39), the crossbow shooter from the Czech town of Chotěbuz, has been sentenced to 10 years in prison for the manslaughter of Martin Hospodi. The Regional Court in Ostrava handed the verdict down today.  full story

--ilustrační foto--

Czech victim of "machete attack" reportedly has neo-Nazi past, knew attacker

Nový Bor/Prague, 20.11.2012 23:39, (ROMEA) New facts are coming to light in the case of last year's brawl in the "Pivní pomoc" bar in the town of Nový Bor, which the Czech media refer to as the "machete attack" case. Defense attorney Klára Samková has claimed the conflict was not the first between the two groups involved, and that assertion has been upheld. One of the defendants, Antonín Sinu, and one of the victims have faced off at least one time previously during a different mass brawl, when neo-Nazis were celebrating the birthday of Adolf Hitler in a restaurant in Nový Bor. Their involvement in that incident has been confirmed by Regional State Prosecutor Radim Kadlček.  full story




..
romea - logo