Best of the Romani musicians program BAŠAVEL in 2020, broadcast online by Czech NGO ROMEA
The online Romani musicians program BAŠAVEL on ROMEA TV offered unique guests and clips from the best performances of 2020 in the closing episode of the series. In addition to performances, the program features an interview with Miro Bartoš, a Romani opera singer who spent part of his childhood in a children's home in the Czech Republic and is now a professional soloist with a theater ensemble in Plzeň.
"Leaving home changed my life and that of my sister. If we had stayed at home we would never have gone to college and gotten the jobs of our dreams," the singer told ROMEA TV.
Milan Kroka, a musician who is a favorite on the Romani music scene in the Czech Republic, is interviewed about what music means to him. "I haven't always just been a musician. I had to do manual labor too. When things were the very worst, I went to work in a factory as a tool grinder. Music is my life. It's a difficult craft, and when it's not done with love, honestly, people can tell," the composer, producer and vocalist told ROMEA TV.
The final episode of BAŠAVEL for 2020 also featured Terezie Ondičová alias Tessie, who has competed in the nationally televised singing competition The Voice; the young Romani musician from Slovakia Richard Adam alias Vajdis; Karin Cinová, Robert Boldi, Ondrej Ferko & Ondra Gizman, Jr; and the Galiani Gypsy Jazz band. Big thanks go to Ladislav Cirok and his recording studio, EL CIROX PRODUCTION, for collaborating on producing several episodes of the series.
Mgr. et Bc Miro Bartoš, dipl. um., graduated in classical voice from the Conservatory in Plzeň, where he studied with Professor L. Ročáková-Rybářová and then studied voice, musical education and secondary school instruction at the Faculty of Education, University of West Bohemia in Plzeň. During his studies he represented the university in the finals of an international singing competition in Montreal, Canada.
Bartoš has also been educated in the field of global business and management at Newton College in Brno and Prague. Since 2008 he has been a soloist and ensemble member of the J. K. Tyl Theater in Plzeň.
His imaginative performances as "Papageno in the Magic Forest", based on motifs from Mozart's The Magic Flute and other dramatic stage productions have captivated children's audiences. He performs in operas and operettas (e.g., as Prince Yamadori in Madame Butterfly).
Bartoš teaches music and singing to pupils in the primary schools and primary schools with an arts focus and is also dedicated to performing in concert both at home and abroad (France, Germany, Slovenia, the USA, etc.). He is currently perfecting his vocal art under the direction of the baritone Vladimír Chmel (a soloist at the Metropolitan Opera in New York).
As one of the most interesting and sought-after contemporary Romani musicians in the Czech Republic, Milan Kroka fell in love with music at the age of seven, when he began playing guitar. He has collaborated with other important Romani musicians domestically such as Ida Kellarová, Věra Bílá and Kale, Romano Rat, Bengas, Mezcla Orchestra, Kmeťoband, Ben Christovao and many others, performing since 2012 with his own project called Milan Kroka - Live Band.
- Leading Romani activist and co-founder of Dikh TV, the musician Lajos "Paci" Balogh, has succumbed to COVID-19 at the age of 28
- Czech President to decide whether Romani musician to receive state honors as Senate proposes
- Roma youth build music school to bring people together in the Czech Republic
- "Czechs Are Helping" initiative to hold benefit Romani music concert to raise money for children in Greek refugee camps
- Romani musician proposed for Czech state honors
- KHAMORO World Roma Festival and Prague Spring classical music festival given the EFFE Label
- Czech town sees its first-ever Romani music festival
- Czech senior citizen threatens arson against Romani neighbors for playing loud music
- Romani musician Jan Surmaj has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Czech restaurant chain apologizes to Romani musician for refusal of service
- Czech Philharmonic celebrates International Romani Day with Romani literature and musicians
- VIDEO: 2 000 people in Rokycany, Czech Republic, pay their respects to the Queen of Romani Music, Věra Bílá
- England: Requiem mass held for Věra Bílá, the Queen of Romani Music
- Romani vocalists from Czech Republic and Slovakia record pop music video duet
- Romani sisters launch new music video in the Czech Republic
- Stanislav Tomáš, who died in police custody, laid to rest in Teplice, Czech Republic. Civil society and his family call for his death to be properly investigated
- Romani residents of infamous Czech housing estate are repairing dilapidated buildings themselves with the help of the town hall
- 70+ Romani students attending Czech colleges applied to the ROMEA organization's scholarship program this year
- Czech Senate committee recommends compensation for the illegally sterilized, final word will rest with the Senate as a whole
- Czech Police reject request for a second autopsy of the late Stanislav Tomáš, whose funeral will take place on Saturday, 24 July
- NGOs from four countries reject David Mezei's threats and vulgar attacks as endangering the investigation of the death of Stanislav Tomáš
- Czech attorney for the family of Stanislav Tomáš has requested a second autopsy - Romea.cz refutes disinformation being spread by Facebook LIVE broadcasters
- Romani community members rescue children from apartment fire on Czech housing estate
- Kosovo: Demonstrators call for investigation into the death of Stanislav Tomáš, who died in police custody in Teplice
- Czech tornado has left many homeless, including Romani widow with six children
- Roma Lives Matter demo in Czech capital hears eyewitness testimony that Stanislav Tomáš was carried motionless on a stretcher into the ambulance
- European capitals see unprecedented wave of solidarity with Czech Roma and protests over the death of Stanislav Tomáš