Slovak fascist politician says he is mixing cough medicine with vodka for his COVID-19, authorities warn that is dangerous
Pharmaceutical regulators in Slovakia are warning against consuming alcohol together with cough medicine if you have been infected with COVID-19. They put out their statement after Marian Kotleba, head of the opposition ultra-right "Followers of Kotleba - People's Party Our Slovakia" (LSNS) made a statement promoting mixing vodka with two different decongestants when describing how he is personally dealing with the disease.
"I have used the methods of our ancestors. I began mixing Stopkašel syrup and Bromhexin with vodka. It has saved my health. I poured the dosage cap of Stopkašel half-full, then filled it up with vodka. Half the dosage cap of Bromhexin, the rest vodka," Kotleba said in a video recording posted to social media.
Kotleba went on to say he had dissolved ordinary salt in a hot bath, which he also claimed had aided him. Bromhexin is used as a decongestant to treat respiratory tract ailments, and Stopkašel relieves people who are coughing a lot.
Slovakia's State Institute for the Control of Pharmaceuticals has warned against the risk of using alcohol together with drugs of any kind. "It is not appropriate to consume either Bromhexin or any other drug with alcohol. Moreover, drinking alcohol not only does not protect one from COVID-19, but can also be dangerous. Consuming alcohol will not destroy the virus but, on the contrary, can increase the risk to one's health should one become infected," the Institute warned in a statement.
Kotleba, who is 43, indirectly cast doubt on the ongoing pandemic and the response to it yet again in his recent video post. "We experienced much more difficult illnesses when we were young. In primary school half the class was constantly home with purulent tonsilitis. Nobody caused any panic about that, nobody restricted people's freedom of movement, nobody instituted any psychopathic measures," said the LSNS boss, who previously also spoke out against the compulsory wearing of face masks.
After Kotleba tested positive for COVID-19, other MPs with whom he had come into contact were also tested. Several were confirmed infected and Slovakia's unicameral legislature has therefore suspended this week's session.
- Romani blogger known in the Czech Republic and Slovakia dies of COVID-19, posted video warning just this morning
- COVID-19 dampens turnout for annual international pilgrimage by Catholic Roma in the Czech Republic, but the atmosphere was not affected
- Slovak Prosecutor: Fascist pandemic is just as dangerous as COVID-19, trial of extreme politician begins tomorrow
- Slovakia: Six more inhabitants of Romani settlement test positive for COVID-19, are relocated to facility
- Slovakia: COVID-19 still spreading in Roma settlement, quarantine center will be built there and across-the-board testing undertaken
- Slovakia: Three Romani communities in Krompachy out of COVID-19 quarantine, movement restrictions only remain in Žehra
- Slovak PM says local Roma who completed COVID-19 quarantine are role models for the country
- Amnesty International criticizes closures of Romani settlements in Bulgaria and Slovakia as part of COVID-19 response
- Jaroslav Miko: Vaccination doesn't just protect you, it protects us all
- Commentary: Czech PM fishing for votes in a racist/xenophobic pond
- Czech extremists move from inciting anti-Romani hatred to railing against "COVID terror" ahead of fall elections
- Local Communist Party cell in Czech Republic posts antigypsyist defamation to official website, party apologizes
- Czech social media influencers join national campaign promoting vaccinations against COVID-19
- ROMEA TV program discusses current COVID-19 disinformation and hoaxes on the Czech Internet
- Karel Karika: I've had my first jab, the vaccine is the way back to normal life
- Czech public health officials asking whether those testing positive for COVID-19 are Czech or Romani - but questions about nationality not being asked systematically
- "Your father is in the COVID-19 wing". A true story.
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency and OSCE say governments must deliver aid to Roma affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- The disinformation pandemic: Who are the Czech "anti-maskers", and could they seize power?
- Czech Internet flooded with fake news alleging parasites are infesting items now mandated by the Government, such as antigen tests