Another Romani musician in a Czech hospital sends social media message to COVID-19 deniers: This is real and the hospitals are running out of room
On 4 March the famous musician and Romani community member Vladimír Dirda announced that he had contracted the novel coronavirus and was in hospital. He posted the information to social media and called on the Romani community not to believe the disinformation and various fake news items circulating on the Internet about the disease.
"I would like to write to everybody who is so blind as to not believe in COVID to tell them that this is a real disease that is a thousand times stronger than any flu. I felt like I had been poisoned and I wanted to die during the last few days," Dirda admitted in the emotional post, asking people to wake up and realize that hospitals are running out of room every day.
"Don't listen to those heretics out on the squares, please! I would never wish this on anybody," wrote Dirda, who used to be part of the popular band Gulo čar, which is no longer together.
The musician Milan Šenki has also set a similar message through social media warning that many acquaintances and friends of his have either succumbed to COVID-19 or will be living with its effects for the rest of their lives. "Nobody is taking quarantine or any other restrictions seriously anymore. Do we want to live normally again? Do we want to go to the pub with our friends for a little beer? Do we want to go to some festival this summer? Do we want to take the family on vacation? I think we all want that," he posted to his personal profile.
"A year ago there were approximately 400 infections per day and what did we do? We followed all the rules so we wouldn't catch this sh***y virus and spread it. What are we doing now? We're just whining and cursing the Government while behaving irresponsibly ourselves," he posted, calling on people to spend the next three weeks behaving the way everybody did last spring, when all restrictions were upheld much more responsibly.
According to Šenki, chances are high that the Czech Republic will have enough vaccines available three weeks from now to vaccinate a large part of the population. "Come on, let's act in solidarity and unity again. That's where our strength is," the musician challenged on his social media friends.
Lukáš Rejmon, the manager and partner of the singer Jan Bendig, had also called on the Romani community and others through his own social media profile to uphold the current regulations at the close of February. "Are these measures making you all angry? Then you should all do one thing. Go into lockdown at home, and three weeks from now you'll be where you want to be," he posted, adding that last spring everybody brilliantly coped with the pandemic situation - which was why the measures were then relaxed.
"Take a look at England. They're beginning to open up according to their plans, and an unbelievable number of people have died of this there. This situation is making me angry, too. Most of us have to listen to our consciences, though. When it comes to following the rules, in many cases there is not as much to celebrate as there was last year. There is no point in rebelling. We won't bring the Government down by doing that, we'll just drown ourselves. Let's show people we can do this, there's nothing else left for us to do anyway! You can make the Government pay during the autumn elections!" Rejmon wrote.
Several famous figures in the Romani community have previously become infected by the novel coronavirus, but some Romani community members continue to share disinformation about the virus on social media and to belittle the destructive effects of the virus. News server Romea.cz has reported on the cases of the singer Bertík Girga, the death in October of Jozef Bertík, contraction of the virus by the famous Romani journalist Jarmila Balážová, the hospitalization of Igor Kmeťo, and the light course of the disease, fortunately, experienced by the singer Monika Bagárová.
- Brand-new Czech Chief Public Health Officer has a history of anti-Romani racism in her previous public communications about COVID-19
- Czech doctor explains how the COVID-19 vaccines were developed so quickly for ROMEA TV
- Popular Romani singer Bertík Girga posts emotional video from Czech hospital telling people COVID-19 is real
- Petr Mati, social pedagogue, tells Czech Health Minister his communication style about COVID-19 is demotivating
- ROMEA TV interviews Czech doctor about vaccines against COVID-19 - how are they made and how do they work?
- Jan Dužda: Vaccination is the most effective weapon against COVID-19, Czech authorities need to campaign about its effects and importance
- Karel Karika: COVID-19 making life drastically worse in the socially excluded localities of the Czech Republic
- Vaccinations against COVID-19 - how is the Romani community in the Czech Republic responding?
- Romani doctor in Czech Republic will get vaccinated and is disturbed by COVID-19 disinformation
- Czech MP publishes collage comparing vaccinations against COVID-19 to the Holocaust and using imagery of the gate at Auschwitz
- COMMENTARY: Romale, Bill Gates does not want to track you, vaccinations against COVID-19 will not kill you and do not involve microchips
- Czech town provides no aid as Romani families are made homeless during COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech capital sees demonstration in support of Trump and against COVID-19 pandemic suppression measures by the same extremists who march against the Roma
- Czech Pirates criticize Govt report on education of Romani children for not reflecting COVID-19 impact and lack of access to distance learning
- During Czech COVID-19 pandemic, NGO distributes more than 80 laptops to Romani students for distance learning
- COVID-19 virus mutation means Czech Republic introducing quarantine for arrivals from Britain, flights stop today at noon
- Karel Karika: I've had my first jab, the vaccine is the way back to normal life
- Czech public health officials asking whether those testing positive for COVID-19 are Czech or Romani - but questions about nationality not being asked systematically
- "Your father is in the COVID-19 wing". A true story.
- Radek Banga refuses interview for ROMEA TV, objects to articles published by news server Romea.cz and to hateful attacks against him on Czech social media
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency and OSCE say governments must deliver aid to Roma affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- The disinformation pandemic: Who are the Czech "anti-maskers", and could they seize power?
- Czech Internet flooded with fake news alleging parasites are infesting items now mandated by the Government, such as antigen tests
- Director of Czech-Roma NGO posts photos and video in effort to show that mandatory respirators are not "infested with parasites" as hoaxes claim
- Slovak investigation into police beating of Romani children in quarantined settlement last year still ongoing
- Czech "Minute of Silence" will honor COVID-19 victims on Monday at noon - every 7 minutes, 5 seconds another person is dying of the virus here
- Czech hospital refuses to examine young Romani man - by the time doctors agreed to see him, he died
- Czech nurse expresses frustration with those denying COVID-19 and spreading disinformation: People are dying of this here!