Čeněk Růžička: Traditional commemoration for Romani victims of the Holocaust is postponed due to COVID-19
The annual traditional commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku, which is always held on 13 May, will be postponed this year to a later date because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Čeněk Růžička, chair of the Committee for the Redress of the Romani Holocaust, announced the change of plans to news server Romea.cz.
"Please allow the relatives of the Romani victims of Nazism to inform you that because of the viral pandemic, the commemorative ceremony traditionally organized by us at the burial site of the victims of the concentration camp at Lety u Písku is being postponed," Růžička's message said. Until recently an industrial pig farm was in operation on the site of the former concentration camp there.
After many years of attempts, the farm was finally bought out by the state recently and the grounds are currently administered by the Museum of Romani Culture in Brno, which is planning to build a new memorial and a visitor center with an exhibition and lecture hall at the site. According to historians, 1 308 Romani people passed through the concentration camp.
Those imprisoned at the camp were children, men and women. At least 327 of them died there, most succumbing to an epidemic of typhus, while more than 500 were deported to Auschwitz.
- Busting the COVID-19 myths circulating in Czech
- Scientists confirm COVID-19 evolved in nature
- EU reports that Russia has launched a disinformation campaign about COVID-19
- Czech and Slovak extremists do their best to profit from the COVID-19 pandemic, attacking the EU and public broadcast media
- Czech portal chcipomoct.cz connects those who need aid with volunteers during COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech socially excluded localities see limited services due to COVID-19, nonprofit staffers lack protective gear
- VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony at the former Lety concentration camp attended by 200 people
- VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku and tour of the former pig farm
- Traditional commemorative ceremony for the Romani victims of the Holocaust 13 May at Lety will launch new award
- PHOTOGALLERY: Commemorative ceremony honoring the memories of the Romani victims of the Holocaust at Lety u Písku
- FULL VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony honoring the memory of the Romani victims of the Holocaust at Lety u Písku
- Hundreds of Romani people from around the Czech Republic and Europe to attend 13 May ceremony at Lety by Písek
- VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony at Lety by Písek
- Romani-inhabited housing estate Luník IX in Slovakia sees start of local vaccinations against COVID-19
- In the Czech Republic, mobile teams have begun vaccinating people against COVID-19 in socially excluded localities
- Traditional commemorative ceremony dedicated to the Romani victims of Nazism will be held on Sunday, 1 August at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- Czech local archive publishes digitalized records online of the former concentration camp for Romani people at Lety
- Memorial gathering at the site of Stanislav Tomáš's encounter with Czech Police turns into protest march stopped by riot units at police station
- ROMEA TV WILL BROADCAST LIVE 14:00 CET: Memorial gathering for Stanislav Tomáš in Teplice, Czech Republic
- Romani community turns site of young man's death in Czech town into a place of reverence
- Czech art competition for works about the Holocaust of the Roma announces winners this week
- Jaroslav Miko: Vaccination doesn't just protect you, it protects us all
- Czech extremists move from inciting anti-Romani hatred to railing against "COVID terror" ahead of fall elections
- Czech social media influencers join national campaign promoting vaccinations against COVID-19
- Czech Museum of Romani Culture commemorates Holocaust victims in online ceremony