Czech court gives suspended sentence to father who filmed himself instructing child to beat pillow and "Imagine it's a Gypsy"
A Czech court has handed down its sentence against a man from the Benešov area who filmed himself urging his daughter to slam a baseball bat into a pillow while imagining she was beating a Muslim or Romani person. He uploaded footage of his parenting to social networking sites and charges were filed against him.
While the man could have been sentenced to as long as three years in prison, news server Lidovky.cz reports that he has been given a suspended sentence. The 27-year- old father uploaded the footage to social networking sites, where several hundreds of thousands of viewers watched it.
Media reported on the case and police began to investigate at the beginning of August. The girl's father was prosecuted for inciting hatred and for endangering the moral development of a child.
The District Court in Benešov handed down its verdict without trial. "The sentence of deprivation of liberty for one year, suspended for a period of three years under probationary supervision, has been handed down by court order," Pavel Vosmanský, vice-chair of the District Court in Benešov, confirmed to Lidovky.cz.
The verdict is already in effect. The court first received the indictment in October.
The case was not dealt with by convening a trial - the court handled it by issuing a verdict and ordering sentencing. In other words, the court found that it did not need to hear from the defendant or any eyewitnesses in order to make its decision, arriving at its conclusions on the basis of the information provided by the police file and the state prosecutor.
"The punishment was what we proposed," prosecutor Irena Šemberová told Lidovky.cz. The man must maintain a clean criminal record for the next three years or be sent behind bars for one year.
Officials with the Probation and Mediation Services will monitor his lifestyle during his probation. "Generally, what that means for the convict is the obligation to visit the Probation and Mediation Services center at the interval established by a specific probation officer, to facilitate the probation officer's entrance to the convict's residence, and the obligation to cooperate with the probation officer, which means informing the officer about his lifestyle, employment and income," Jitka Pohunková, head of Probation and Mediation Services in Benešov, told Lidovky.cz.
- Czech court holds trial of man who threatened Romani children with gunfire at summer camp
- European Parliament: Roma in the EU face antigypsyism and everyday discrimination that must stop
- Czech Police charge man who urged daughter to practice beating Muslims or Romani people with a baseball bat
- Czech Gov't human rights report finds Romani children are still discriminated against in education
- Czech Police investigating video of father encouraging his daughter to imagine she is beating "Gypsies"
- Czech video goes viral of man telling girl to beat pillow with baseball bat and imagine it's a "Gypsy or a Muslim"
- More Roma citizens of Romania attempting to cross from Mexico into the USA to seek asylum this year
- Football hooligans and neo-Nazis blame all Roma for violent crime and march through Czech town, riot police deployed
- Czech extremists move from inciting anti-Romani hatred to railing against "COVID terror" ahead of fall elections
- Czech appeals court exceptionally reduces sentence for social media user who approved of Christchurch massacre, notes current law is imbalanced
- František Kostlán: Both the Jews and the Roma were victims of the Holocaust
- Czech lower house committee chooses attorney now facing disciplinary action for making light of racist crime to join public broadcasting board
- Czech court hands down sentencing in pool brawl case, one Romani man acquitted for having attempted to stop the altercation
- Czech court sentences brutal, racially-motivated assailant who attacked Romani man in front of children to 7.5 years in prison
- Czech footballer appeals UEFA ban, insists he never said anything racist
- Czech court gives suspended sentence to attacker who threatened to kill Romani women and their children with an ax
- Two brothers of Radek Banga object to his remarks about Roma in Czech media interview and his portrayal of their family in his book
- Czech court reopens case against accused neo-Nazis that has lasted more than a decade