Czech court hears defamation case against man who insulted a member of the Govt's Roma Council in the media
On 11 February the District Court in Most, Czech Republic began hearing the case of a disgraceful remark that was made two and a half years ago by the director of the Krušnohor Housing Construction Cooperative, František Ryba, against Iveta Theuserová, who is a volunteer civil society member of the Czech Government Council for Romani Minority Affairs. Ryba was quoted by the RESPEKT weekly in a report describing critics of the cooperative and its involvement in a controversial political campaign against local residents being labeled "riffraff".
The report quoted Ryba's reaction when asked about Theuserová's criticism: "That lying cikánka? Do you mean the cikánka that has the IQ of bubbling mud?"
Theuserová was insulted by being described in such a way and filed a lawsuit against Ryba for protection of her good name. Through her legal representative, David Strupek, she is demanding an apology and CZK 50 000 [EUR 2 000] in damages.
"The damages sought of CZK 50 000 might seem low, I originally wanted to ask for more. Even Mr Strupek confirmed it is rather a small amount. Of course, I asked for that after listening to the assertion of the person representing me when I first filed the lawsuit - she claimed there was no point in asking for a higher sum," Theuserová told Romea.cz.
The next hearing in the case happens to have been scheduled for 8 April and should feature testimony by the photographer and reporter for RESPEKT who interviewed Ryba in 2018. "I believe that will just be a formal confirmation of their testimony. The judge asked for RESPEKT to submit written statements before the proceedings were opened. They confirmed that all of what the readers of their magazine could read in that interview was actually said by Mr Ryba. In my view, this testimony is absolutely essential, as Mr Ryba has alleged since 2018 that he never said any such thing," the plaintiff told Romea.cz.
The Krušnohor Housing Construction Cooperative became infamous for its unconcealed connections with the Association of Most Residents for Most (Sdružením Mostečané Mostu), a local group that included as part of its local election campaign the eviction of residents whom it considers "problematic" and their relocation into what it called a "village for the riffraff". The group scored broad success with that program and won eight seats on the local assembly.
- Volunteer civil society members of Czech Govt Roma Council: Proposed welfare amendment violates guaranteed rights
- February marks the 62nd anniversary of communist Czechoslovakia forcibly sedentarizing Romani people
- Czech Police charge two men for publishing racist content about mass killing last year, Pirate Party and ROMEA filed reports against them
- Karel Karika: COVID-19 making life drastically worse in the socially excluded localities of the Czech Republic
- Alena Gronzíková: Czech landlords will not rent to Roma even with good references and steady incomes
- LIVE BROADCAST TOMORROW 10 AM: Press conference on the case of the death of Stanislav Tomáš in the Czech Republic
- Civil society members of Czech Govt Roma Council: Investigate police response in Sokolov - it was inadequate and undermines trust in the police
- Polish football hooligans allegedly physically assault Romani man in Přerov, Czech Republic for objecting to their racist comments
- Out-of-town youth assault Romani child and then other Roma in Sokolov - Czech Police defused the conflict and are investigating, local Roma not happy with their response
- Romani women and children in Slovakia assaulted physically and verbally by stranger at a lake
- Romani residents of infamous Czech housing estate are repairing dilapidated buildings themselves with the help of the town hall
- Czech Police reject request for a second autopsy of the late Stanislav Tomáš, whose funeral will take place on Saturday, 24 July
- Some volunteer civil society members of Czech Govt Roma Council protest new law on subjecting welfare benefits to collections
- Commentary: David Mezei, false prophet, and the Romani elite of the Czech Republic
- Dozens of Roma protest in front of restaurant in Czech town after food server allegedly assaults a Romani woman, police are investigating
- Czech MP alleges during parliamentary debate on welfare bill that incest is part of Romani culture, open racism on the floor of the lower house
- Assembly against discrimination and racism in Ústí nad Labem, Czech Republic attended mostly by Romani people