Czech fundraising campaign begins for 25 evictees now living in a primary school gym
The gym at a school in the Předlice neighborhood of the Czech city of Ústí nad Labem became a temporary residence last weekend for 25 people evicted from the Modrá residential hotel, which closed on 30 June. Thanks to the enormous efforts made primarily by Karel Karika, the Vice-Mayor of the central municipal department of the city, new rental housing was secured for all the residents of another residential hotel (Klišská) there, which also closed on 30 June.
Activists, nonprofit organizations and volunteers are arranging grocery deliveries for the people in the gym and preparing different activities for the children. It is also possible contribute to financial and material collections for them.
"Currently we are in acute need of volunteers to organize the broadest possible range of activities with these people, programs for adults and children. We need field trips for the children, lectures or theater performances for the adults," reads the Facebook post of the "Na ulici nepůjdeme" ("We Won't Go Live On The Street") group.
It is also possible to support the evictees by giving financially through the bank account of the Prague-based community center Žižkostel (240297771/0300). When sending a donation through them, please include the message "Ústí" in the notes field.
According to activists, the donated finances will be used to buy groceries, medicines, etc. A material collection is also underway in Prague.
What is needed is clothing for children aged 15 and under as well as toys, crayons, toiletries, cosmetics, dishes (mugs, plates, silverware, etc.). Such items can be brought to the headquarters of the Slovo 21, z.s. organization (Štěpánská 1, Praha 2).
"Before bringing items for donation there, call 222 511 434," the Facebook page announces. The crisis situation around the residential hotels began at the end of May, when the operator of the facilities announced she would close her business at the end of June and the landlord announced it would not arrange for operations to continue.
- Czech residential hotels close, 21 people now living in a primary school gym
- Czech city says 56 evictees still not rehoused, must move by the end of the week
- Czech region where evictions are underway keeps rejecting plans to subsidize lunches for impoverished schoolchildren
- Czech President verbally assails residential hotel evictees, supports city's move to abolish housing benefits entirely
- Czech town cancels commission for container housing as too costly - which local opposition politicians have argued all along
- Vojtěch Lavička: Ghettos in the Czech Republic are determined by poverty, nobody judicious believes they can disappear
- Czech town commissions construction of controversial modular housing units for Romani area, council meeting described to ROMEA TV by local assembly member
- Roma children electrocuted while playing in a Belgrade settlement
- Czech mayor gets Romani resident to endorse segregated "container housing", others still oppose it, including Architects without Borders
- Alena Gronzíková: Czech landlords will not rent to Roma even with good references and steady incomes
- Czech town provides no aid as Romani families are made homeless during COVID-19 pandemic
- Despite COVID-19 state of emergency, landlord summarily evicts five Romani families in Czech town
- Czech NGOs say lawmakers want to cut welfare despite impending social crisis
- Local councillor in Czech Republic sparks outrage and petition against installation of "container housing" in Romani neighborhood
- Czech regional elections: Ninth-place Romani candidate says housing and lack of representation are the community's biggest problems
- Czech town ordered to pay Romani residents evicted in 2006, may appeal