Czech Interior Minister meets with representatives of family of deceased Romani man
Today at 13:00 a meeting was held between Czech Interior Minister Milan Chovanec (Czech Social Democratic Party - ČSSD) and Deputy Police Director Martin Vondrášek with the legal representatives and members of the Demeter family, whose son died under still-unexplained circumstances on 18 October in the Czech town of Žatec. The meeting with the minister was attended by Romani community members Martin Bajger, Jan Čonka, Vladimír Hamouz, Josef Stojka and Marcel Ščuka.
Speaking with news server Romea.cz, Mr Ščuka said: "The meeting was held with the Deputy Police Director and others. Both sides are aware of the tense nature of the situation, and we were promised, among other things, that the ministry will prepare a press release in which it states that it will take an objective interest in investigating this entire case. They assured us that they are working very carefully on the case. Some of the information we presented to the Deputy Police Director and the Interior Minister was new to them. We will prepare a report for the ministry in which we state the other misgivings that might arise. On the basis of that report, our next meeting will be planned to assess how far the investigation of the case has progressed."
Ščuka also said the greatest concern was that attention be paid to the questions raised by the approach taken by local police when intervening against the Romani man. The family and the larger community are concerned that such procedures not become customary practice.
- Green Party says Czech Interior Minister must guarantee proper investigation of tragic incident in Žatec
- Czech Republic: Funeral of young Romani man who died after a scuffle in a pizzeria last month
- Council of Europe's Special Representative of the Secretary General for Roma Issues writes to Czech Interior Minister about death of a young Romani man
- Czech Gov't Roma Council calls on Interior Minister, Police President to thoroughly investigate death of Romani man in Žatec
- Italian Interior Minister Matteo Salvini faces criticism for calling Romani woman a "dirty gypsy"
- Czech State Security Council takes note of extremism report as originally worded, Czech President did not get his way
- Czech Constitutional Court to review controversial local ordinance about sitting in public
- Czech city ignores Constitutional Court and refuses to abolish ordinance banning sitting outdoors
- Czech lower house refuses vote about denier of Romani genocide as vice-chair, Christian Democrats call for extraordinary session
- Czech Interior Ministry's quarterly report on extremism: Politicians exploited fears of immigration
- Czech MP spreads disinformation about terrorist threat, Interior Minister sharply objects
- Czech Interior Ministry monitoring up to 40 disinformation servers
- Czech state prosecutor rejects complaint from family of Romani man who died in presence of police
- Czech prosecutor to review police procedure in case of Romani man who died in pizzeria
- Analysis: The 2016 arson attack on Klinika Social Center - are the Czech Police incompetent, or omniscient?
- Czech Govt Roma Council discusses death case, Romani representatives express growing sense of danger