Czech Police find no crime was committed in death of Romani man last fall
Czech Police have shelved the case of a young Romani man, Mr Miroslav Demeter, who died tragically on Tuesday, 18 October 2016 at around 19:00 in the Panamera Pizzeria in Žatec, Czech Republic. Police found no felony had been committed in relation to the incident.
News server Romea.cz has reviewed the police resolution on the case, which is more than 40 pages long and contains information from expert witness assessments and detailed eyewitness testimonies, as well as describing the video footage of the incident that the investigating detective had available. "It has been decided to suspend prosecution of the criminal matter of negligent homicide in the case of Miroslav Demeter because the culpability of a third party in his death was not found," Jindřich Koželuh, Deputy District State Prosecutor in Louny, told news server Romea.cz.
"In this matter there is no suspicion of a felony (tort) and it is not appropriate to deal with this matter in any other way," reads the resolution. The family of the deceased has now filed a complaint through their attorney against the resolution.
"We disagree with the suspension of the investigation into this case because, in our opinion, the police never dedicated proper care to it. Our arguments as to how we draw that conclusion are listed in our complaint," the father of the deceased told news server Romea.cz.
- Czech Police investigation of death threats against Romani celebrity continues, his brother targeted also
- Czech investigation into death of Romani man in a pizzeria will announce findings at press conference
- Romani family files complaint against Czech investigation of death
- Czech Republic: Investigation into Romani man's death continues as interethnic gulf widens
- Czech court sentences Romani man to prison for racist abuse while mourning a relative's death
- Commentary: Struggle for Freedom and Democracy Day in the Czech Republic after still-unexplained death of Romani man
- Council of Europe's Special Representative of the Secretary General for Roma Issues writes to Czech Interior Minister about death of a young Romani man
- Czech Gov't Roma Council calls on Interior Minister, Police President to thoroughly investigate death of Romani man in Žatec
- Hundreds around Czech Republic honor memory of dead Romani man, right-wing extremists assemble at site of his death, riot police deployed
- Czech Republic: Non-Romani demonstrators prevent Romani mourners from lighting candles at site of death, riot police prevent clashes
- Czech Republic: ROMEA journalist interviewed by Radio Wave about death of young Romani man
- Twelve assemblies announced internationally to mourn the death of young Romani man in Czech Republic
- Jan Horvát: Romani people must unite over the death in Žatec. We can't ignore it!
- Romani activist Rudolf Zajda has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Petr Horváth, founder of the band Gipsy Sendy, has passed away at the age of 45 in Slovakia
- American author Paul Polansky has passed away
- Czech hospital refuses to examine young Romani man - by the time doctors agreed to see him, he died
- Marcel Courthiade, linguist who dedicated himself to the emancipation of Roma and their language, has passed away
- Legendary Romani musician Rudolf Bagár has passed away
- Romani singer Věra Gondolánová has passed away
- Rajko Djurić, academic, author and former president of the International Romani Union, has passed away
- Romani blogger known in the Czech Republic and Slovakia dies of COVID-19, posted video warning just this morning
- Famous Roma Rights Activist László Bogdán Has Passed Away
- Romani activist, journalist, poet and translator Jan Döme Horváth has passed away in the Czech Republic
- The Central Council of German Sinti and Roma is deeply saddened by the death of Holocaust survivor and Roma civil rights activist Raymond Gurême