Czech Police release new video footage of what preceded police intervention against Romani man who died thereafter
The Czech Police have published to their Twitter account new video footage from what happened on Saturday in Teplice. The video shows what happened prior to the police arriving at the scene and intervening, after which the man against whom they intervened died in an ambulance called to the scene.
The footage shows the Romani man lying on the ground, then getting up and running at another man in shorts. The man in the shorts dodges him, and the Romani man then runs up to a white car and pounds on it with his fists more than once, at which point the video ends.
Zde můžete vidět, co předcházelo zákroku policie, která přijela na oznámení občanů. pic.twitter.com/lU7wcTVftx— Policie ČR (@PolicieCZ) June 21, 2021
In a subsequent tweet, the police commented on the comparisons being drawn between this case and the death of George Floyd. "This is no 'Czech Floyd'. This was an intervention against a multiple recidivist who, under the influence of narcotic and psychotropic substances, was demolishing a car and who paid no attention to the officers' instructions - the intervention was lawful and unrelated to his death. That has been confirmed by court autopsy," the Czech Police tweeted, reiterating the preliminary results of the autopsy.
The man died in an ambulance called to the scene after the police intervention. Amateur video of that intervention was posted to social media.
The footage of the intervention has been shared en masse by Romani people comparing it to the intervention against George Floyd in the USA, mainly because it shows police kneeling on the Romani man's neck. "This is the height of brutality," posted Michal Miko, director of the RomanoNet organization, about the video.
Michal Mižigár, a Romani student of history and Romani Studies who won the Aspen Central Europe Leadership Award in 2019 from the Aspen Institute Central Europe, commented that the footage shows "The Romani Floyd today in Teplice!" Recalling the attack on Romani children at a summer camp run by the Romani musician Ida Kelarová and the death of a Romani man in police custody inside a pizzeria in Žatec, he added: "I feel genuinely powerless and sad. This is not the first case."
- Civil society members of the Czech Govt Roma Council ask Interior Minister to prioritize the thorough investigation of the death of a Romani man after a police intervention
- Czech Police: According to court-ordered autopsy, death of young Romani man unconnected to police intervention
- Czech Police statement on their kneeling intervention: Internal Affairs is investigating, autopsy will determine cause of death, the man collapsed in the ambulance
- Romani man dies after Czech Police kneel on his neck, they say drugs caused his death. Romani activists see parallels to George Floyd
- Czech court upholds conviction for making dangerous threats after neighbor threatens to kill three Romani women and their children with an ax
- Editor-in-Chief of Czech media outlet appeals direct sentencing for publishing antigypsyist content, the case will be heard in open court
- Human rights activists: Czech police officers who intervened against Stanislav Tomáš should be suspended until investigations end, ban kneeling on the neck during interventions
- Czech Police confirm football fans were behind Friday's attack on the Romani community of Sokolov
- LIVE BROADCAST TOMORROW 10 AM: Press conference on the case of the death of Stanislav Tomáš in the Czech Republic
- Civil society members of Czech Govt Roma Council: Investigate police response in Sokolov - it was inadequate and undermines trust in the police
- Brazil: Fatal altercation between police and Romani family launches campaign of mass murder against local Roma
- Stanislav Tomáš, who died in police custody, laid to rest in Teplice, Czech Republic. Civil society and his family call for his death to be properly investigated
- Union of Vlax Roma in the Czech Republic files crime report in Stanislav Tomáš's death, calls for special commission in the lower house to investigate
- Slovakia: Drunken, knife-wielding man threatens to kill Romani children for being in a park and is now in custody
- Justice for Stanislav. Family of the late Romani man from Teplice, Czech Republic publishes obituary, funeral will be Saturday
- Czech Police reject request for a second autopsy of the late Stanislav Tomáš, whose funeral will take place on Saturday, 24 July