Czech portal chcipomoct.cz connects those who need aid with volunteers during COVID-19 pandemic
The Academic Center of Student Activities, based in Brno, Czech Republic, has launched a portal, chcipomoct.cz ("I Want To Help") where both individuals and organizations who need aid as a consequence of the COVID-19 pandemic and volunteers offering their assistance can sign up. The portal should serve the purpose of easily categorizing and distributing volunteer help, the director of the center, Jaroslav Švec, told the Czech News Agency.
The portal was created by the center's 15-member team in collaboration with several mayors and organizers of aid. "Our effort is to coordinate, to the greatest possible degree, the demand and the supply and to contribute toward assistance reaching those in need as soon as possible in the safest possible way," the director said.
Volunteers can now click on an easy electronic form to communicate what they would like to help with, such as sewing face masks, arranging for social contact with senior citizens, shopping, taking dogs for walks, or babysitting and tutoring children. The options can be expanded according to demand.
"We are still aggregating the inquiries, above all from mayors, and we are communicating with associations that provide aid in order to ascertain what people need the most. Our team is prepared to flexibly respond to real-time situations and to continually upgrade the form according to the calls for assistance that prove to be most in demand in the days to come," the director said; many other institutions are also helping coordinate volunteers, for example, several universities are doing so on a mass scale.
- Czech socially excluded localities see limited services due to COVID-19, nonprofit staffers lack protective gear
- Coronavirus pandemic can make conditions in the Romani settlements of Slovakia deadly, protective gear slow to reach those who need it
- Coronavirus-related HOAX in the Czech language alleges USA is moving troops to Europe
- Director of EU FRA: Racism has no place in combating coronavirus, human rights limitations must be proportionate
- Czech Republic declares state of emergency over coronavirus pandemic, International Romani Day celebrations postponed
- Czech Government measures to prevent coronavirus close museums and theaters, including Museum of Romani Culture
- EP cancels Roma Week, online consultation about Roma strategy even more important now
- Karel Karika: I've had my first jab, the vaccine is the way back to normal life
- Czech public health officials asking whether those testing positive for COVID-19 are Czech or Romani - but questions about nationality not being asked systematically
- "Your father is in the COVID-19 wing". A true story.
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency and OSCE say governments must deliver aid to Roma affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- The disinformation pandemic: Who are the Czech "anti-maskers", and could they seize power?
- Czech Internet flooded with fake news alleging parasites are infesting items now mandated by the Government, such as antigen tests
- Director of Czech-Roma NGO posts photos and video in effort to show that mandatory respirators are not "infested with parasites" as hoaxes claim
- Slovak investigation into police beating of Romani children in quarantined settlement last year still ongoing
- Czech "Minute of Silence" will honor COVID-19 victims on Monday at noon - every 7 minutes, 5 seconds another person is dying of the virus here
- Czech nurse expresses frustration with those denying COVID-19 and spreading disinformation: People are dying of this here!
- Czech MP protesting measures to stem COVID-19 pandemic is a trafficker in poverty with a history of anti-Romani racism
- Romani youth including actor from "The Painted Bird" want to fundraise for Czech hospital treating serious COVID-19 cases