Czech presidential candidate Horáček thanks Roma for voting, supports Drahoš in second round
Speaking through a video message published by the Romea.cz news server on 13 January, Czech presidential candidate Michal Horáček thanked Romani voters for their support during the first round of the presidential election. He also called on them to support Jiří Drahoš in the second round of voting.
Horáček said he was offering the challenger to incumbent Czech President Zeman the billboard space that he had reserved for campaign advertising between the first and second rounds. "Dear Romani friends, I am glad that I have been able to visit you during my campaign," he said in a video message for news server Romea.cz.
"Please do not ignore the second round of voting. Mr Ing. Zeman is not a person who has your interests at heart," he warned.
"Do go to the polls and vote for his challenger, give your votes to Mr Professor Jiří Drahoš," Horáček said. "We have received so many beautiful messages from Romani people that I have really been moved."
Horáček went on to say that it is necessary to see Romani children's talents made use of and that they do not necessarily always receive a good quality education thanks to their difficult circumstances."We are wasting the talents of so many people," he said.
"This society has a big task ahead of it, to give those people a chance," he told Romea.cz. Horáček, who won more than 9 % of the vote during the first round and ended up in fourth place, also told journalists that he had given his all to his campaign and taken it seriously.
The pre-election debate among the eight challengers to Zeman, in his view, had contributed a more cultivated discussion of issues to the national conversation. "We have managed to raise new subject matter which, I hope, will remain part of Czech politics," Horáček said.
- Czech presidential election second round will apparently be Drahoš v Zeman
- Czech presidential candidate welcomes buyout of farm on site of former concentration camp for Roma
- More Romani figures announce their presidential favorites - still definitely not Zeman
- Which Czech presidential candidate will Romani voters choose? Apparently not Zeman
- More Roma citizens of Romania attempting to cross from Mexico into the USA to seek asylum this year
- Slovak MP who is also a Romani community member accused of sexually abusing a teenaged girl, claims he is innocent
- František Kostlán: Both the Jews and the Roma were victims of the Holocaust
- Czech town unveils plaque to the "Black Partisan" Josef Serinek
- Vojtěch Lavička: Ghettos in the Czech Republic are determined by poverty, nobody judicious believes they can disappear
- Czech court gives suspended sentence to attacker who threatened to kill Romani women and their children with an ax
- Radek Bangas new book alleges he was abused as a child, his twin brother remembers things differently
- Czech court orders director of housing corporation to apologize to Romani community member for abusive remarks
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency and OSCE say governments must deliver aid to Roma affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- Jarmila Balážová: What does the stormy debate in the Czech Republic about the TV series featuring Romani performers show us?
- Vojtěch Lavička: Czech TV show featuring Romani guys in drag is low "humor" of the fifth-rate category
- Czech ecumenical service sends wishes of good fortune and good health to Romani people on their day