Czech racists hated Vodafone Christmas ad featuring non-white children, the company objects to their online comments
Vodafone is thoroughly rejecting the comments of hatred and racism that began appearing on Czech social media in response to the company's advertising campaign for Christmas featuring two brothers, Sam and Max Budiman, whose father was Indonesian and whose mother is white - a fact that is a big problem for some Czech social media users. "A couple of days ago we launched our Christmas advertisements, and unfortunately they have been met on social media with hateful and vulgar reactions to the family appearing in them," General Director of Vodafone Petr Dvořák tweeted in a video at the close of November.
"We cast a family who may not be absolutely typical for the campaign, their father is Indonesian, and unfortunately he is no longer alive. However, this is a family who lives here with us [in the Czech Republic]," Dvořák said in the message.
"For us as a company, it's terribly important that we bring people together. We do so irrespective of their opinions, skin color, sexual orientation, sex, or the culture they come from," the General Director of the mobile phone services company said.
"Let's value respect and love, and let's combat hatred," Dvořák said in the video. "We thank all those who see things this same way."
The brothers had also been featured in an August ad campaign, but for the Christmas campaign they were joined by their mother Michaela, who is a professor of the Indonesian language and a translator, and the entire ad concept was based on the idea of "The real Christmas comes after Christmas," which is dramatized by the authentic testimony of the family. Hateful comments on social media in reaction to protagonists in ads who are not white are nothing new on the Czech and Slovak Internet, though.
In 2017 the target of such an online hate attack was a dark-skinned Senegalese model featured in advertising fliers released by Lidl. That same year an advertising campaign by a Slovak firm for sportswear that also featured a dark-skinned man sparked hateful comments on social media as well.
- Scandalous fourth acquittal by Czech court of racist football fans accused of assaulting Black man on tram
- Czech court gives suspended sentence to adults who assaulted young Romani children physically and verbally in a park last year
- Racists in Czech capital assault non-white family, call the father "Cikán", give the Nazi salute, try to take their baby
- Older Romani woman recounts how security guards in Czech shop saved her from violent racist thug
- Romani kickboxer becomes Czech champion in classical boxing as well, will the big promoters notice?
- Czech/Romani NGO tells Public Defender of Rights his remarks on Human Rights Day are a disgrace
- Czech Republic: Further action needed to integrate Roma children in schools and prevent discrimination against LGBTI persons
- Commentary: Senator infamous for antigypsyist remarks about the "cikánská question" joins regional party in the Czech Republic
- Commentary: Czech Social Democrats sink to the level of ultra-nationalists with proposal to cut funding to NGOs working with minorities
- Polish football hooligans allegedly physically assault Romani man in Přerov, Czech Republic for objecting to their racist comments
- Out-of-town youth assault Romani child and then other Roma in Sokolov - Czech Police defused the conflict and are investigating, local Roma not happy with their response
- Romani women and children in Slovakia assaulted physically and verbally by stranger at a lake
- Commentary: David Mezei, false prophet, and the Romani elite of the Czech Republic
- Czech social media response to tornado includes antigypsyist rushes to judgment about Romani workers
- Dozens of Roma protest in front of restaurant in Czech town after food server allegedly assaults a Romani woman, police are investigating
- Czech MP alleges during parliamentary debate on welfare bill that incest is part of Romani culture, open racism on the floor of the lower house
- Assembly against discrimination and racism in Ústí nad Labem, Czech Republic attended mostly by Romani people
- Chair of the Czech Helsinki Committee: Czech society is racist towards Romani people
- UN High Commissioner for Human Rights: Don't deny racism, eliminate it!
- More Roma citizens of Romania attempting to cross from Mexico into the USA to seek asylum this year
- Football hooligans and neo-Nazis blame all Roma for violent crime and march through Czech town, riot police deployed