Czech racists physically assault Romani activist Jozef Miker while shouting antigypsyist abuse
Last weekend in Teplice, Czech Republic the famous Romani activist, hero and man who fights for the rights of Roma and others, Jozef (Jožka) Miker, was beaten up. Several men who exited a pub very near his home in a drunken state encountered him as he was walking by.
The assailants did not know their victim and fixated not just on his Romani ethnicity, but on the fact that he was wearing a Pirate Party t-shirt. "Dude, a Gypsy in a Pirate shirt, that's out of line, fucking Pirates!" Jožka heard one of them say.
One of the men then grabbed him from behind, pinned his arms to his body, and another man punched him in the face more than once. He now has a broken tooth.
The attackers then removed his Pirate t-shirt and tore it to shreds. They exploited the fact that he is a seriously ill senior citizen on a disability pension.
Jožka worked full time for 31 years as a miner and in his younger days would have had no trouble defending himself physically. He has decided to approach this incident just as many other Romani people in a similar situation do: He will not report the assault to the authorities, he is treating himself and not seeking medical aid.
Just a small fraction of such cases here are ever reported and investigated. Another tiny fraction of that small fraction ends with the perpetrators being punished.
Adam Komenda, a member of the Pirate Party who chairs the cell in Most and who has long dedicated himself to supporting the Romani community at the Chanov housing estate, expressed his view of the entire incident as follows: "I know Jožka Miker personally as a man who spends most of his time helping others, for example, regularly cooking as a volunteer and delivering lunches to homeless people in Teplice, and he is also dedicated to working with children and youth from socially vulnerable families. The report that he has been assaulted for no reason fills me with feelings of anger and disappointment. Naturally I condemn this shameful act. Unfortunately, similar attacks on Romani people are, for many reasons, rarely reported to the police and for that reason very few end up before a court so the perpetrators can be punished."
When I asked Jožka to comment on the attack, he did so as follows: "I'm proud the racists beat me up. It was not the first time and it will not be last."
I disagree on that with him. I would like this to be the last time and for the perpetrators to be punished.
- Czech court again acquits youths accused of assaulting man because of his skin color, prosecutor may appeal
- Czech trial begins of brutal, allegedly racially-motivated assault by non-Romani adults on Romani children
- Czech off-duty police officer assaults Romani children for smoking
- VIDEO: Czech Police prevent neo-Nazis from assaulting Prague Pride participants
- Czech Police charge adults who assaulted Romani children with three felonies including racial defamation
- Czech court acquits football hooligans accused of assaulting dark-skinned man on Prague tram, prosecutor appeals
- Czech MP taken to hospital after two men physically assault him and racially abuse him
- Czech Police investigating assault on Romani children as a felony now
- Czech Police investigating brutal assault on Romani children as a misdemeanor for now
- Czech eyewitnesses to assault on African man say they fear for their lives if they testify
- Czech Police have yet to take statements of 10 foreign students assaulted two weeks ago in Ostrava
- Fashion designer Pavel Berky prevails with humility and talent over experiences of homophobia and racist assault
- Czech trial of racist assault on Prague tram: Eyewitnesses can still come forward, next hearing in January
- Czech Police charge right-wing extremists who assaulted citizens of India
- Commentary: Czech PM fishing for votes in a racist/xenophobic pond
- Czech court sentences brutal, racially-motivated assailant who attacked Romani man in front of children to 7.5 years in prison
- Chair of the Czech Pirates: Let's not trip the Roma up, let's treat them with the dignity they deserve, as equals
- COMMENTARY: Trump's bucket of filth
- Czech Pirate Party chair: Emancipation, not "integration", for the Roma
- Czech Pirates criticize Govt report on education of Romani children for not reflecting COVID-19 impact and lack of access to distance learning
- Scandalous fourth acquittal by Czech court of racist football fans accused of assaulting Black man on tram
- Czech court gives suspended sentence to adults who assaulted young Romani children physically and verbally in a park last year
- German court sentences terrorist who attacked Halle synagogue last year to life in prison
- Racists in Czech capital assault non-white family, call the father "Cikán", give the Nazi salute, try to take their baby
- Ten years on from neo-Nazi arson conviction, Czech attorney warns it could happen again
- Czech bodybuilder fined for approving of murder of Romani man, he appeals