Czech Republic: ARA ART exhibition features art photography of male nudes
As part of the Prague Pride week festival celebrating the LGBT community, the ARA ART organization is opening its third exhibition in the series organized by its Gallery Phundaro Vudar. The exhibition features work by a young photographer of Romani origin, Milan Junek, who specializes in art photography including nudes.
Curator Věra Duždová has called the exhibition "Oppression – Depression – Passion". The title came from the images in Junek's portfolio.
"Milan Junek calls himself an amateur photographer, but his works are characterized by an enormous depth and sensitivity that manages to capture the intimate experiences of what is otherwise a very closed community," Duždová said. The exhibition will run from 11 August until 21 September at the recently-opened Gallery Phundaro Vudar, which is located at Café Souterrain on Bělehradská Street in Prague 2.
The exhibition will open tomorrow, Thursday, 11 August at 19:30. "ARA ART is the only organization that has long been dedicated to the issue of the LGBT minority inside the Romani community in the Czech Republic. We have worked with the community through regular conferences, meetings, workshops and other creative activities since 2012 and we have had several opportunities to verify for ourselves that it is precisely these three emotions - oppression, depression and passion - that capture the essence of what people experience when they suffer from multiple discrimination," said David Tišer, the director of ARA ART.
Gallery Phundaro Vudar has already held two previous exhibitions, one called "Invisible Roma", which focused on Czech-Romani coexistence and Romani themes, and "Art from the Drawer", which introduced young amateur artists from the Romani community. Last year ARA ART won an award on the occasion of the International Day against Homophobia and Transphobia for its workshop with LGBT Romani community members.
Milan Junek (born 17 January 1976) was originally trained as a landscaper. He began to take photographs five years ago.
Junek's photographic work primarily focuses on figural photography, male and female nude art photography, and portraits. The models he photographs are his own acquaintances and friends from his immediate neighborhood.
The photographs are set in interesting natural scenery or in the recesses of abandoned industrial architecture. Junek approaches the arrangement of the models' poses in a non-violent, original way.
- KHAMORO 2016 in its 18th year - concerts, exhibitions, seminars, theater and much more
- Exhibition maps Romani image in Czech media and the modern history of Jewish and Romani people
- Czech Republic: Exhibition on Roma genocide travels to Třebíč
- Exhibition in Lidice on the pre-war life of Czech Roma
- A Roma Journey, an exciting new web exhibition from The European Library
- Slovakia opens its first permanent exhibition on Romany minority
- Anarchists open exhibition on neo-Nazi victims in Czech town
- Czech Romanies stage exhibition to mark Roma Day
- Group of Women Harmed by Sterilisation launches exhibition at the Council of Europe
- Prague exhibition to present life of original Czech Romanies
- Photo exhibition commemorates tragic fate of Romanies
- An exhibition “Watch out, gypsies!
- Exhibition “The Holocaust Against Roma and Sinti”
- Exhibition in NY Czech Centre shows successful Czech Romanies
- Czech art competition for works about the Holocaust of the Roma announces winners this week
- Romani child actor from The Painted Bird rejects tv role in the Czech Republic of "bad g*psy child"
- Czech LGBT Romani activist says LGBT Roma are used to being scorned, but have their allies as well
- Slovak public broadcasting continuing children's television program in Romanes and Slovak
- Petr Horváth, founder of the band Gipsy Sendy, has passed away at the age of 45 in Slovakia
- David Tišer tells Romani actor he has given Czech society a product full of stereotypes - and no explanation why
- Jarmila Balážová: What does the stormy debate in the Czech Republic about the TV series featuring Romani performers show us?
- Online Romanes-language video calls on Roma to declare Romani nationality during the Czech census
- Czech court fines man for setting rainbow flag on fire, stays silent on homophobic motivation; he says it wasn't him and appeals
- Romani actor to appear in latest installment of antigypsyist Czech film series made by former 'special school' teacher
- Zuzana Kumanová becomes the first Romani woman ever appointed to high office in Slovakia
- Czech Romani group objects to reading names of Holocaust victims who were Romani, those organizing commemorations disagree