Czech Republic: Canadian Ambassador attends International Romani Day event, embassy displays Romani flag
On Friday 8 April 2016, Canadian Ambassador Otto Jelinek displayed the Romani flag on the building of the Canadian Embassy in Prague to mark International Romani Day. He was joined by David Tišer of the nonprofit ARA ART organization and Adriana Trejtnarová, an intern working on Romani projects at the embassy who is a student at the Czech Agricultural University.
Jelinek also attended the celebration that ARA ART held on Friday at the La Fabrika theater in Prague. He opened the evening with the following declaration: "I've lived here in the Czech Republic for a long time and I collaborate with Romani people all over the country. I really like you very much because I respect what you know how to do and what you are, I respect your individuality. I am proud of you and I think you should be proud of yourselves. You know how to do many more things than the world realizes you can."
Born in 1940, Jelinek is a Canadian entrepreneur and politician of Czech origin. He became Ambassador to the Czech Republic in August 2013.
In his youth Jelinek dedicated himself to figure skating and won the World Championship together with his sister in the pairs' competition in 1962 and 1965. The Jelinek family had emigrated to Canada after 1948 when their factory producing aluminum and cork stoppers was nationalized by the Communist regime in Czechoslovakia.
After completing his athletic career, Jelinek dedicated himself to the sports goods business. He was elected a member of the lower house of the Canadian Parliament for 20 years beginning in 1972 before being appointed Minister for Multiculturalism and Minister of Sport (1984-1988), Minister of Public Works (1988-1989) and Minister of Finance (1989-1993) in the various cabinets of Prime Minister Brian Mulroney.
Jelinek first returned to the Czech Republic in 1994 as the head of the Czech branch of the Deloitte & Touche consulting firm. He was also Chair of the company's Board of Directors for Central Europe.
- Karel Holomek: Migration crisis not new, Roma migrated from Slovakia post-WWII and to Canada post-1989
- Hungarian author Ákos Kertész requesting asylum in Canada
- Canada considers visas for Hungary due to influx of Romani immigrants
- Romani victims of recent murders in Hungary commemorated in Canada and Europe
- Canada says Romani people not subjected to state-organized repression in EU
- Hungarian Roma activist, former member of European Parliament emigrates to Canada
- Refugee in Canada launching political movement in Czech Republic
- Canada: Czech visas to stay June 2012, "we are monitoring the situation"
- European Parliament wants more pressure on Canada over visas for Czech citizens
- In IUSTITIA warns Canada: 2008 violence in Litvínov has never been punished
- Canada changing its asylum system, Czech Republic may have visas lifted
- Czech Police President backs officers who intervened against Romani man who later died, expresses regret at the loss of life - the first such statement
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency and OSCE say governments must deliver aid to Roma affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- VIDEO: Igor Kmeťo, Jr., Monika Bagárová, Jan Bendig and others release new song for International Roma Day
- US administration greets Roma on 8 April, Romani flag up at the US Embassy in Prague
- Alexander Soros: We celebrate the identity, self-determination and unity of Roma, Open Society Foundations will always support them
- MEP Peter Pollák on World Roma Day: Mere declarations of willingness to solve problems not enough, it's time for results
- Czech Foreign Minister on World Roma Day: Fighting for equality is an integral part of Czech foreign policy
- Chair of the Czech Pirates: Let's not trip the Roma up, let's treat them with the dignity they deserve, as equals
- Czech ecumenical service sends wishes of good fortune and good health to Romani people on their day
- Czech activist on 8 April: the Romani position in society is deteriorating, zero results from the financing invested
- Czech actors send greetings to Romani people for 8 April, World Roma Day
- 50th anniversary of the international movement of Romani people celebrated worldwide