Czech Republic: Demonstrations for and against receiving migrants in Ostrava
Opponents and proponents of the reception of migrants demonstrated on Saturday afternoon in Ostrava, the third-largest city in the Czech Republic. A total of approximately 200 people on either side assembled at two different locations in the city.
The events took place without any clashes. Police kept the two groups apart.
At the demonstration held by ultra-right parties, former Czech MP and chair of the Republican Party Miroslav Sládek addressed the crowd. He also attempted to address those demonstrating in favor of receiving migrants.
Sládek did not succeed in addressing that demonstration as well. Tomáš Kužel, director of the Moravian-Silesian Regional Police, told the Czech News Agency that several dozen constables and police officers were involved in providing security for the two events.
When Sládek attempted to walk through the assembly of those in favor of receiving migrants, it sparked some mild excitement. "I'm just going to walk through there," the former MP argued to the police officers maintaining the peace.
Police ultimately let him pass by in close proximity to those demonstrating in favor of receiving migrants. Sládek attempted to address them, to no avail.
The former MP ultimately left the scene. The ultra-right radicals then marched to Ostrava City Hall on Prokešovo Square, where organizers officially ended the event.
Several smaller groups of of their people then attempted to return to the Hus Orchard area, where those in favor of migrant reception were assembled. Police prevented any eventual clashes in that part of town.
- Dozens of Roma protest in front of restaurant in Czech town after food server allegedly assaults a Romani woman, police are investigating
- Assembly against discrimination and racism in Ústí nad Labem, Czech Republic attended mostly by Romani people
- Kosovo: Demonstrators call for investigation into the death of Stanislav Tomáš, who died in police custody in Teplice
- Roma Lives Matter demo in Czech capital hears eyewitness testimony that Stanislav Tomáš was carried motionless on a stretcher into the ambulance
- European capitals see unprecedented wave of solidarity with Czech Roma and protests over the death of Stanislav Tomáš
- Czech capital to see demonstration for Stanislav Tomáš today expressing disagreement with police intervention and support for local community
- More Roma citizens of Romania attempting to cross from Mexico into the USA to seek asylum this year
- Vojtěch Lavička on the Ostrava incident: Knowing how to communicate can prevent dangerous conflicts
- Czech churches condemn those wearing yellow Stars of David at anti-vaxxer events, call on them to apologize
- Czech Federation of Jewish Communities: Yellow Star of David at Prague demonstration is textbook abuse and relativization of a Holocaust symbol
- Czech capital sees demonstration in support of Trump and against COVID-19 pandemic suppression measures by the same extremists who march against the Roma
- COMMENTARY: Trump's bucket of filth