Czech Republic: KHAMORO festival began yesterday and runs through Saturday
Last night the KHAMORO Festival of Romani culture began with a concert on Střelecký ostrov (Shooter's Island) in Prague. Singers Monika Bagárová, Jan Bendig, Elis and Markéta Konvičková performed at the kick-off event, followed by DJ Gadjo.cz.
The 19th annual review of Romani culture offers concerts of jazz and traditional Romani music, dance performances, exhibitions and expert discussions. This year's event is also focusing on literature.
The festival will present the work of Romani authors and will also discuss the depiction of Romani characters in books by non-Romani authors. Today this review of Romani literature, "Gavoro" (Village) begins in Prague.
The event aims to draw attention to Romani authors. "If Romani people excel at anything it is dance, playing musical instruments, and singing. On the other hand, it is not customary to connect them with written literature. This year's KHAMORO festival would like to convince its fans to abandon this stereotypical notion," the festival organizers said.
The encounters with the Romani literati will be augmented by creative writing courses. The traditional parade by performers through the center of the capital will also be part of this year's program.
The parade takes place on Friday at noon. Bands and dance ensembles will proceed from Wenceslas Square to the Old Town Square.
That event will feature 300 dancers, musicians and other performers. Tonight and tomorrow there will be jazz concerts on offer.
Wednesday evening will feature a theatrical presentation. On Thursday and Friday ensembles of traditional music will perform.
The review of Romani culture will culminate on Saturday with the gala concert. You can find more information about the program here.
- Czech Republic: KHAMORO Festival starts in eight days, launches video ad
- 19th annual KHAMORO festival in Prague: Conferences, exhibitions, football - and music
- DEADLINE TOMORROW: KHAMORO World Roma Festival to train Romani youth in festival production
- KHAMORO 2016 in its 18th year - concerts, exhibitions, seminars, theater and much more
- VIDEO: "Kneeling on the neck means death" - debut from Romani rapper Filip Šenki in the Czech Republic
- Czech art competition for works about the Holocaust of the Roma announces winners this week
- Romani child actor from The Painted Bird rejects tv role in the Czech Republic of "bad g*psy child"
- Slovak public broadcasting continuing children's television program in Romanes and Slovak
- Petr Horváth, founder of the band Gipsy Sendy, has passed away at the age of 45 in Slovakia
- Jarmila Balážová: What does the stormy debate in the Czech Republic about the TV series featuring Romani performers show us?
- Internet connects Holocaust remembrance sites to commemorate deaths of Theresienstadt "Family Camp" inmates at Auschwitz-Birkenau
- Legendary Romani musician Rudolf Bagár has passed away
- Romani actor to appear in latest installment of antigypsyist Czech film series made by former 'special school' teacher
- Zuzana Kumanová becomes the first Romani woman ever appointed to high office in Slovakia
- Romani singer sends message about COVID-19 from a Czech hospital: You do not want to catch this
- Czech town to see exhibition by pro-Romani and Romani artists referencing the Black Lives Matter movement