Czech Republic: More than 3 000 Roma celebrate International Romani Day on a square in Ostrava
More than 3 000 people, the vast majority of them Romani, assembled on Saturday afternoon on Svatopluk Čech Square in Ostrava to celebrate International Romani Day. The initiators of the event were two Romani students, Vladimír Čermák and Vladimír Kočko.
The celebrations were supported by the Association of Romani Entrepreneurs and Societies of the Czech Republic. "We wanted to do something for Romani people because there are not very many events like this happening here," Čermák told news server Romea.cz.
"This is the only Romani holiday, and therefore we wanted to do a really big event so that not just people from Ostrava would attend, but people from the surrounding region," Čermák said. In his view, education is very important, and the organizers did their best to promote it throughout the afternoon.
"We are an informal group that wants to support Romani students and we want others to join us," Čermák said. During the afternoon music was performed by the bands Gipsy Culy, Gipsy Kajkoš, Diny Košice, Gipsy Čhave and the Ostrava group Gipsy Mercedes.
- International Romani Day celebrations begin in Czech capital with Romani tram ride - "tROMvajka"
- Czech Republic: Theme of International Romani Day celebrations this year is Romipen
- Czech Police searching for man who assaulted students for speaking English in Ostrava
- "Europe: Which Children Matter?" Discussion in Ostrava on 17 November about Roma segregation in education
- Almost 2 000 Roma assemble in Czech town to ask for equal access to quality education
- Czech tabloid apologizes for fake news report claiming video from Chile was from Ostrava
- VIDEO: Gala celebration for International Romani Day in Prague
- Czech NGO ROMEA offering Romani students another scholarship opportunity
- Vojtěch Lavička on the Ostrava incident: Knowing how to communicate can prevent dangerous conflicts
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency and OSCE say governments must deliver aid to Roma affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- "Haters Will Not Stop Us!" ROMEA launches campaign to support Romani scholarship program
- VIDEO: Igor Kmeťo, Jr., Monika Bagárová, Jan Bendig and others release new song for International Roma Day
- US administration greets Roma on 8 April, Romani flag up at the US Embassy in Prague
- Alexander Soros: We celebrate the identity, self-determination and unity of Roma, Open Society Foundations will always support them
- MEP Peter Pollák on World Roma Day: Mere declarations of willingness to solve problems not enough, it's time for results
- Czech Foreign Minister on World Roma Day: Fighting for equality is an integral part of Czech foreign policy
- Chair of the Czech Pirates: Let's not trip the Roma up, let's treat them with the dignity they deserve, as equals
- Czech ecumenical service sends wishes of good fortune and good health to Romani people on their day
- Czech activist on 8 April: the Romani position in society is deteriorating, zero results from the financing invested