Czech Republic: Professor Ctibor Nečas, a pioneer in researching the history of the Roma, has passed away
Professor PhDr. Ctibor Nečas, DrSc., an emeritus professor at Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic who was a pioneer of research into the history of ethnic Romani people and the Holocaust, passed away on Tuesday, 19 December. Jana Horváthová, director of the Museum of Romani Culture, informed news server Romea.cz of the news on 21 December.
One year ago, Professor Nečas was given the Czech 2016 Roma Spirit Award in the individual category for his lifelong academic and popular contributions to the field of Romani Studies. He was an important Czech historian, especially in the area of researching the history of Romani people, and was an internationally-recognized, highly- appreciated researcher.
Thanks to his monograph The Holocaust of Czech Roma, which was also published in English translation in 1999, as well as due to the other studies he published in journals abroad, Professor Nečas was ranked among the recognized experts of Europe. He is the author of more than 255 works in Romani Studies.
Professor Nečas was also honored with the Museum of Romani Culture Award, the South Moravian Region Award, the Masaryk University Medal, the City of Brno Award and the Rakvice Municipality Award. One of the final pieces he authored has just been published in the November issue of Romano voďi magazine, entitled "Chronicle of the Camp at Lety u Písku" (in Czech only).
The September 2017 issue of that same magazine published an article by him entitled "Romani Partisans and the Resistance Movement" (available here in Czech only). The memorial service will be held for him on Wednesday, 27 December at 14:00 in the ceremonial hall of the Brno City Cemetery (address: Vídeňská 96).
- Czech historian from Museum of Romani Culture: Let's discuss what comes after the pig farm is removed from the Roma genocide site
- Czech Republic: Conference begins in Prague today about historical experience of Romani people as Holocaust victims
- Czech Republic: Historian confims remarkable story of Romani war hero Imrich Horváth with military archival documents
- Czech Education Minister wants to give schools money to visit historical sites
- 2016 Roma Spirit Awards in the Czech Republic: Ctibor Nečas, R-Mosty, Evangelical Academy, Richard Samko and Olga Fečová
- Czech historian responds to tabloid disinformation about Romani Holocaust site
- Czech Human Rights Minister on International Romani Day: Quality education, more awareness of Romani culture, history, language all important
- Sweden: History of the persecution of Roma in the Czech lands is published
- Romani activist Štefan Tišer has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Funeral for Jan Rác will take place tomorrow, Friday, 4 June, in Karviná, Czech Republic
- Funeral for Jiřina Šiklová to be held tomorrow in Prague
- Jan Rác, Romani activist and researcher, has passed away
- Czech Charter 77 signatory and sociologist Jiřina Šiklová has passed away, advocated for Romani equality
- Brooke Pavek, an American with Romani roots, has more than 700 000 social media followers
- Romani activist Rudolf Zajda has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Petr Horváth, founder of the band Gipsy Sendy, has passed away at the age of 45 in Slovakia
- 50th anniversary of the international movement of Romani people celebrated worldwide
- Overview of the online commemorations of the 50th anniversary of the Romani movement already underway!
- American author Paul Polansky has passed away
- Czech hospital refuses to examine young Romani man - by the time doctors agreed to see him, he died