Czech Republic: Romani students send video message for International Romani Day
During the fifth BARUVAS meeting at the end of March in Týnec nad Sázavou, Czech Republic, 22 students in different areas of secondary education filmed a video with a strong message. The clip was published by news server Romea.cz on the occasion of International Romani Day (8 April).
"We are Roma, we live in the Czech Republic and this is our home. We are studying, we have vision, we have aims, and we want to be successful," the Romani students say in the video.
The students were aided in their creation of the strong message by a team from the ROMEA organization and ROMEA TV together with Richard Samko, a moderator for Czech Television who collaborates with Romea.cz's editors. The BARUVAS ("We Are Growing") meetings of Romani students are implemented regularly during the course of the year by ROMEA as part of its Romani Scholarship Program.
Currently 81 students of secondary and higher technical colleges are receiving scholarships through the program. Dozens of other students are receiving tutoring, mentoring, or the opportunity to complete various courses and internships thanks to the program.
The students themselves perform volunteer activities in various facilities and organizations as part of the program. The concept behind the regular meetings of Romani students is to support selected participants with their education, self-development, and intensifying their knowledge, experience and contacts to use both in their personal and their professional lives.
- European Roma and Travellers Forum: Roma Rights at a Crossroads
- Prague celebrations of International Romani Day end today with gala
- International Romani Day celebrations begin in Czech capital with Romani tram ride - "tROMvajka"
- Romani rappers P. A. T. and Rytmus in new video: Czechs and Slovaks are "drunk on hatred"
- Czech Police officer explains why he donated to Romani Scholarships
- Czech Republic: Unique "Memory of the Roma" project keeps historical memory alive through video
- VIDEO: Czech ticket-checker assaults Romani boy, removes children from bus, police tell commuter not to film it
- VIDEO: "We don't want Fascists here" - protests against Prague meeting of xenophobic parties from around Europe
- Romani psychology student who is a ROMEA scholarship winner featured on Czech Television
- They didn´t believe he was a university student, but he didn´t give up. Baruvas helps young Roma grow.
- Czech Republic: The English College in Prague fundraises for Romani student scholarship
- Czech Republic: Romani high school students receive scholarships at ceremony, sponsors are convinced education is an investment
- Romani scholarship recipient plans to work on AI at Czech university
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency and OSCE say governments must deliver aid to Roma affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- "Haters Will Not Stop Us!" ROMEA launches campaign to support Romani scholarship program
- VIDEO: Igor Kmeťo, Jr., Monika Bagárová, Jan Bendig and others release new song for International Roma Day
- US administration greets Roma on 8 April, Romani flag up at the US Embassy in Prague
- Alexander Soros: We celebrate the identity, self-determination and unity of Roma, Open Society Foundations will always support them
- MEP Peter Pollák on World Roma Day: Mere declarations of willingness to solve problems not enough, it's time for results
- Czech Foreign Minister on World Roma Day: Fighting for equality is an integral part of Czech foreign policy
- Chair of the Czech Pirates: Let's not trip the Roma up, let's treat them with the dignity they deserve, as equals
- Czech ecumenical service sends wishes of good fortune and good health to Romani people on their day
- Czech activist on 8 April: the Romani position in society is deteriorating, zero results from the financing invested
- Czech actors send greetings to Romani people for 8 April, World Roma Day