Czech Republic: Shooter of Romani man now in custody
A court in the Czech Republic accepted a motion filed by the Regional State Prosecutor in Ústí nad Labem and decided to remand into custody the non-Romani man who has been charged in the case of the shooting death of a Romani man in Chomutov. Police spokesperson Daniel Vítek announced the news yesterday.
The accused shot the 34-year-old Romani man to death in the early morning hours of Saturday, 27 May and has been charged with murder. The motion for him to be remanded into custody was sent to the court yesterday, according to the spokesperson.
"According to the findings of the ongoing investigation, the man (born 1980) heard noise from the street at night, looked out of the window of the apartment building where he was, and saw a van running into parked cars and people standing on the sidewalk," the spokesperson said. "He immediately exited the building carrying his legally licensed firearm, went onto the street and began firing at the vehicle, which was moving past him at exactly that moment. The man (born 1983) who was driving the van was shot several times and suffered serious injuries from which he died at the scene."
Police officers summoned to the scene then, according to the spokesperson, immediately arrested the suspect, who waited for the patrol at the scene of the crime and admitted having fired the weapon. "Subsequently a criminal proceedings was begun in this matter and before noon the criminal prosecution of the arrested man began on charges of aggravated homicide," the police spokesperson said yesterday.
- Czech Republic: Shooter of Romani man faces between 12 and 20 years if convicted
- Czech Republic: Vigil held for Romani man shot dead yesterday
- Czech Republic: Non-Romani man shouts racial abuse at 34-year-old Romani man before shooting him dead
- Czech Police investigating shots fired at Romani summer camp and local police procedure
- Romani activist Štefan Tišer has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Petr Horváth, founder of the band Gipsy Sendy, has passed away at the age of 45 in Slovakia
- Czech bodybuilder's fine upheld for approving of Romani man's murder, he says he will appeal again
- Czech hospital refuses to examine young Romani man - by the time doctors agreed to see him, he died
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights says Public Defender of Rights is publicly misrepresenting what she said to him
- COVID-19 virus mutation means Czech Republic introducing quarantine for arrivals from Britain, flights stop today at noon
- UK quarantine for travelers arriving from Czech Republic begins tomorrow
- Czech local politicians hold stormy meeting with non-Romani and Romani residents where long-refuted antigypsyist hoaxes and stereotypes resurface
- German counter-intelligence head says right-wing extremism and terrorism are the country's biggest threat
- Czech Interior Ministry centre refutes most frequent disinformation about COVID-19 online
- Slovakia: At-home quarantine not functional in Romani-inhabited settlements, COVID-19 infected persons to be taken to state-run facilities
- European Commission calls for public recommendations about its Framework for National Roma Inclusion Strategies by 16 March