Czech Republic: Television station issues statement about interview with refugee that sparked online hatred
The TV Prima television station in the Czech Republic has issued a statement about an interview broadcast on 11 February with a refugee in which the interpretation of what the refugee said was inaccurate. News server Romea.cz is providing the statement here in full translation.
Statement of TV Prima
In connection with the reportage broadcast on 11 February 2016 during FTV Prima's main news program, about a family of Christian refugees from Iraq, we would like to state the following: The report presented relevant, truthful information supported by the interpretation services of a court-registered interpreter of Arabic, Ing. Naziha Albahri. It is not appropriate for us to comment on the response of the Generation 21 foundation to the reportage.
As far as the accusations made by the foundation against Bohumil Roub, who is an external reporter for TV Prima, about his influence on the reportage, Mr Roub's statement is as follows: "Immediate after we recorded the material the representatives of the Multicultural Center and the foundation New [sic] Generation 21 began pressuring us not to broadcast the reportage on the topic of the inconvenient accommodation. My colleague, cameraman Roman Svoboda, responded that if we were to keep it quiet we wouldn't have a job, and I simply confirmed that."
Jitka Obzinová, News Director, FTV Prima
- Czech Republic: Manipulative television report sparks hatred against Christian refugees from Iraq
- Arson attack Saturday after Prague demonstrations for and against refugee reception
- Czech Justice Minister wants judge whose writing insults gays, refugees and Roma to resign
- Czech social media response to tornado includes antigypsyist rushes to judgment about Romani workers
- Online response to Stanislav Tomáš's death includes hoaxes shared in the Czech Romani community
- Commentary: Czech PM fishing for votes in a racist/xenophobic pond
- Local Communist Party cell in Czech Republic posts antigypsyist defamation to official website, party apologizes
- ROMEA TV program discusses current COVID-19 disinformation and hoaxes on the Czech Internet
- Romani scholarship recipient plans to work on AI at Czech university
- Czech Internet flooded with fake news alleging parasites are infesting items now mandated by the Government, such as antigen tests
- Director of Czech-Roma NGO posts photos and video in effort to show that mandatory respirators are not "infested with parasites" as hoaxes claim
- Roma children electrocuted while playing in a Belgrade settlement
- Czech nurse expresses frustration with those denying COVID-19 and spreading disinformation: People are dying of this here!
- COMMENTARY: Romale, Bill Gates does not want to track you, vaccinations against COVID-19 will not kill you and do not involve microchips
- MEP Peter Pollák, a Romani community member from Slovakia, posts footage of his vaccination against COVID-19 to combat conspiracy theories influencing the community