Czech Republic: Two local assemblies memorialize Romani man's death
In the Czech towns of Louny and Žatec, assemblies were held yesterday at 15:00 to memorialize the death of a young Romani man in a local pizzeria. The first gathering took place on Tyršovo Square in Louny, where more than 30 people gathered.
The mourners then proceeded to the main square of Louny, where they lit candles in memory of the deceased. Another assembly was held at 16:00 in Žatec in front of the pizzeria where the tragedy happened.
Approximately 100 Romani community members gathered at the site of the young man's death. He died on Tuesday, 18 October 2016 after being involved in a scuffle in which municipal patrolmen intervened.
The cause of death remains unclear. How the entire incident unfolded is also unclear.
According to eyewitnesses contacted by news server Romea.cz, the young Romani man allegedly behaved agggressively after arriving at the pizzeria. Allegedly he bothered girls who were sitting at one of the tables there.
One version of events describes somebody kicking the young Romani man in the neck. Four other people are then said to have assaulted him.
The eyewitnesses have speculated that the assailants knew martial arts. According to other information, local police also beat the youth after arriving at the scene and then he collapsed.
- Czech Republic: Young Romani man has died after a scuffle, no charges filed yet
- Czech Republic: New expert witness provides yet another explanation why Romani man died after police intervention
- Czech Republic: 200+ people attend funeral of Romani man who died after police intervention, protest march planned
- Czech Republic: Has a Romani man died as a result of police brutality?
- Czech Republic: Romani mother does not believe her son died a natural death after police intervention
- Czech Republic: Police claim young Romani man died of natural causes
- Romani activist Štefan Tišer has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Funeral for Jan Rác will take place tomorrow, Friday, 4 June, in Karviná, Czech Republic
- Funeral for Jiřina Šiklová to be held tomorrow in Prague
- Jan Rác, Romani activist and researcher, has passed away
- Slovak MP who is also a Romani community member accused of sexually abusing a teenaged girl, claims he is innocent
- Vojtěch Lavička on the Ostrava incident: Knowing how to communicate can prevent dangerous conflicts
- Czech Charter 77 signatory and sociologist Jiřina Šiklová has passed away, advocated for Romani equality
- Romani activist Rudolf Zajda has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Petr Horváth, founder of the band Gipsy Sendy, has passed away at the age of 45 in Slovakia
- American author Paul Polansky has passed away
- Czech hospital refuses to examine young Romani man - by the time doctors agreed to see him, he died
- Marcel Courthiade, linguist who dedicated himself to the emancipation of Roma and their language, has passed away